Looking for Advice for training progression.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@taimen your lack of experience helped you in that course more than hurt you because your habits were not ingrained that deeply. The instructor was able to mold you into the finished product a lot easier than someone who has many more dives and is set in their ways.
Be hard for anyone to argue or disagree with that but lets see how it turns out.

@taimen your lack of experience helped you in that course more than hurt you because your habits were not ingrained that deeply. The instructor was able to mold you into the finished product a lot easier than someone who has many more dives and is set in their ways.

Exactly. And we had no ego to hurt. It was just a class for learning, not a test to pass or fail. A fun and enjoyable experience, contrary to many course reports...

Exactly. And we had no ego to hurt. It was just a class for learning, not a test to pass or fail. A fun and enjoyable experience, contrary to many course reports...

Not my experience...my first taste of GUE diving broke my spirit, and yet I trudge on. (I must have a very big ego LOL :() Everyone's abilities and how they handle perceived success and failure are different.

Last edited:
Not my experience...my first taste of GUE diving broke my spirit, and yet I trudge on. (I must have a very big ego LOL :() Everyone's abilities and how they handle perceived success and failure is different.

I can't "Like" this. Is there a "Sympathy" button?

taimen has mentioned before how Fundies was not hard for him, and I respect that. We're all different.

The other point of view here certainly makes sense. I can imagine a hypothetical person with no prior knowledge of diving learning to dive in the full tech gear configuration, and although it would look hard to you and me and take a while, he won't know it's hard and taking longer because he doesn't know of any other way. I doubt anyone has ever done that, so it's hypothetical, but I do know that people have learned to dive in a BP/W without prior experience with a traditional BC, and they apparently thought nothing of it, while for me, getting used to a BP/W was hard in itself.

I had more dives than everyone else in my Rec fundies class. They both had 20 or so, I had over 100. We all got rec passes, though one required some additional coaching on deco theory. There certainly were places where I did the wrong thing because that’s what I was used to. They struggled in areas too, but I wish I had done fundies earlier.

I think having more dives makes getting to the tech level harder. The instructors expect consistent high level performance to standards, which is hard when your learned reaction is to do something other that what they want to see.

They teach what to most people are new skills and you have to be able to execute those when needed, but basically fundamentals is a task loading exercise. Can you do enough things correctly while still maintaining trim and buoyancy? Which amounts to, in more complex diving, is can you handle a problem while not silting out a cave or blowing up a deco stop by like sinking from 20 feet to 30 feet on 100%.

Last edited:
Thanks @Lorenzoid...it was so traumatic for me I still cannot talk about it yet.
Sorry for your bad experience Dogbowl. I don't think you are alone.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom