looking for advise on what to do - regulator service problem

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You are correct that DIY is not the way for everyone to go, but: From another thread with the same posters involved:

....re: the savings realized by of avoiding an unnecessary "annual" service. But never mind that, everyone should learn to inspect their own equipment.

hi
just looking to get some other peoples thoughts to maybe help us decide what to do about a recent regulator serving issue.

my wife and i own our gear. i use an apeks atx200 reg set w/the egress spare 2nd. she has an aqualung titan lx supreme with a similar spare 2nd. we do not have a local authorized dealer to do our annual servicing required to maintain warranty. we send them out of town to the closest dealer. they have done the work for 4 years now. this year, we got them back a few weeks before our trip to cozumel/playa del carmen in april. right away i noticed some very minor things. the hose supports were slid about half way up the hose, and the soft seals on the 1st stage were not straight. sounds very minor i know. but it got me thinking.......if they take such little pride in what they do, what else might they have done, or not done. after a better inspection i found my wifes spare 2nd hose was barely hand tight into the 1st stage. not cool. we were both quite upset about it and contacted the dealer. he agreed this should never happen and said he would take steps to make sure it did not happen again. that is where we left it. then we were about to enter the cenotes outside of playa and my wifes 1st stage starts blowing air from the cyclinder connection. turns out, the yoke nut was loose. it obviously never got tightened either. luckily we found a wrench that fit to tighten the nut.

so my question to you all is.......what would you do ?? should i contact the dealer again and discuss what happened with the intention being to continue using them for service. or should i look for a new service provider.

i must admit that my wife and i are inclined to let them know what happened and also tell them we will be taking our business elsewhere. but after contacting several other dealers by email for info, i actually spoke to one by phone who suggested maybe i was over reacting and "these thngs happen". and maybe i should look for some type of compensation from the dealer but i should continue using them.

any thoughts about this would be appreciated.
rick

That Sucks, but unfortunately this kind of shoddy service is nowadays all to common in all kinds of Service lines including where lives depend on propper work.

I understand you where happy with there work for 4 years. If I would be you I give them a chance to make it right. When you deliver your dive gear for Service make sure it is accompanied by a letter explaining what happened and what you found to be wrong. Send a copy of this letter to the Manufacturer as well preferably registered. This way I am sure the understand you mean business and will make it right, and the will likely have a chat with the Shop to reinforce propper repair/servicing procedures. Everybody wins.

Cheers

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom