Looking for an underwater torch light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bookmon

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Back in the mid 80s to mid 90s, I had this foot long+, 4 D cell, big, blue incandescent dive light. That thing was a torch. It wasn't a scoop or flood light style. You could light up a path far off. My dive buddies always Stayed behind me. It was blinding!
Alas, the reflective backing has flecked away and it is virtually useless.
In today's LED world, what do I want as a replacement? I have little LED pocket backups. I have a recent purchase incandescent scoop. But, I miss my torch. I want to see 20-30 yards away.
Thanks for replies

most of the LED backups are much more powerful than that incandescent.
20-30 yards underwater is not going to happen, and I can guarantee you did not happen with your old dive light. If visibility was that good, that light did not have enough power to effectively light anything up from that distance, 0% chance. 20-30yds underwater is only achievable with some of the most powerful LED canister lights from companies like UWLD, Light Monkey, Halcyon, etc, and only possible if the visibility allows for it and 100ft viz is hard to come by....

Which LED backups do you have now that you aren't happy with?

The Underwater Kinetics SL4 eLED is the only LED for now. It's OK for a pocket light. For night diving, no. It is not even close to a being a primary. Recently got a Princeton Tec Sector 5 incandescent. Decent little scoop/flood. But again, no real distance.
I want to see far off. Light up the path so bright there os no question as to what's ahead.

Get yourself a Light Monkey 50 watt HID.

The Underwater Kinetics SL4 eLED is the only LED for now. It's OK for a pocket light. For night diving, no. It is not even close to a being a primary. Recently got a Princeton Tec Sector 5 incandescent. Decent little scoop/flood. But again, no real distance.
I want to see far off. Light up the path so bright there os no question as to what's ahead.

Does your old light still work if you feed it the 4 batteries? I mean, does it still light up and your onky concern is the mirror finish has flaked off?

UWLD can be picked up fairly cheap. Edd Sorenson is selling a bunch of his demo models.

I am very happy with Mine.

Does your old light still work if you feed it the 4 batteries? I mean, does it still light up and your onky concern is the mirror finish has flaked off?
Yes. It will still light up. Despite its age.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom