Looking for Baltimore Dive Club

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi, I just got my OW and AOW in Utila, Honduras this summer, and upon my reluctant return to the US, I moved to Baltimore! Since then, I have been searching the depths of the internet and checking out the local dive shops for local dive clubs, but haven't had any luck. It seems most sticky links posted previously are dead. Would be willing to start a club too if there are a bunch of people out there like me!
Would love to do local quarry and shore diving in the MD, VA, NC area on weekends.
xxSarah

Most "clubs" are just run by a dive shop and service their own customers. There used to be a mid-Atlantic group, but I believe it is now defunct. There is a kinda one-person Facebook group at Mid-Atlantic Area Scuba Divers. You might try connecting with one of the larger dive shops in the area and just make the best of it. Which shops to try depends a bit on your location; Atlantic Edge is good, Nautilus, Coral Edge Adventures. Lots of smaller shops, but they are hard-pressed to run a "club." There will be a Baltimore/DC Dive Show 19-20 January; you might get some leads from that..Finally, there are about 150 active divers that volunteer at the Baltimore Aquarium; if you can get into that program you will find some comrades. Good luck!

Sarah,

I live in Baltimore as well and had a similar problem after I did my OW certification. I wanted to find people to dive with locally to get more experience and had no real luck. What ended up working for me, as @tursiops has suggested, was finding a shop to connect to other divers through. In my case, I'm very happy with the community affiliated with Submerged. The only downside for you and I is that they are in Rockville, but the friends I've found have been worth the drive.

Example of the connection? I'm on vacation in NC this week and one of my regular buddies (who I met through the shop) is taking a few overlapping days so we can dive together down here. Two other folks were trying to join as well, but couldn't get the days off.

The one other resource I know of locally is the DC/MD/VA Scuba Meetup Group
http://meetu.ps/c/Zq1/xVqgd/d

I've only made it to one meetup since they meet in Virginia, but it was a nice group of people and I know there are several active SB members who are regulars of their meetings.

Best,
Mark

I'll second tursiop's suggestion. Try contacting the local shops to see if there are folks willing to dive with you. You might also consider doing some additional training with them in the local quarry. Taking courses can also be a great way to meet dive buddies. For local"ish" quarry diving you have a couple of options. First, there is Hyde's quarry that is actually quite close to Baltimore. Second, there is lake Phoenix that is probably a good 3+ hours from Baltimore (but a much better dive in my opinion). After Honduras though, I think you'll quickly find the quarry's to be a bit of a drag. For some really outstanding diving, consider Morehead City, NC. There's not much shore diving in Morehead City, but you might consider getting on the boats for a dive. The shop can help coordinate a buddy for you on the boat and it's a great way to meet people.

I've tried looking for clubs in the area too, without success. Perhaps it's time to start a new one. I try to go to Dutch Springs at least once a month. It's a long drive, about three hours, but I think it's well worth it especially if you camp and stay for the weekend. There is plenty to see. I don't even know how many times I've been there and I still haven't seen everything. On Memorial Day weekend and Labor Day weekend the North East Diving Equipment Group offers vintage hardhat diving. For non-divers they have a water park, rock climbing wall, kayaking, etc. I highly recommend it. There are easily hundreds of people there every weekend.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom