Looking for Buddy in Tacoma on Sunday, September 23, 2018

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tmassey

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hello!

My family and I are taking our first trip to the Pacific Northwest -- in fact, I leave Detroit today! I had originally started a thread for the 9th and after quite a few suggestions that's squared away: I'm diving with 8Diving in Des Moines. (Thread if you're curious, but stay with me here! :) Diving in Seattle / Olympic National Park September 9-11, 2018)

However, I am also looking to do some diving in Tacoma on Sunday, September 23. Once again, I've gotten some very helpful suggestions, but the plan hasn't quite come together yet... So I'm putting out a fresh appeal here in a new thread (with the right date and location!).

A brief bit about me: I'm a reasonably experienced cold-water diver from Michigan. I've got roughly 350 dives, a healthy number of which are in cold quarries and inland lakes with 30 feet of viz or less, and probably 30+ dives in 4+ knot current. I have Advanced Wreck, Intro Cave, Ice Diver and AN/DP certifications. I dive exclusively BP/W and HP steel doubles.

@Trailboss123 has given me a few specific suggestions: Titlow and Les Davis beaches. I understand that Les Davis is not tide-sensitive, but Titlow is. On the 23rd, slack tide is 11:45A.M. For a 60 minute dive, that means getting in the water at 11:15A. That leaves plenty of time to start the morning at Les Davis, then move over to Titlow.

So here's what I propose: 8AM at Les Davis park. In the water by 8:30, for a 60-minute dive. Out by 9:30, packed up by 10:00, over to Titlow, in the water by 11:15A, out by 12:15, done!

I will have all of my own gear (including drysuit) except tanks and weights. I'm all set up for doubles, but I've been unable to find a place to rent them in Tacoma. (Tacoma Scuba closes early on Saturday and doesn't re-open until after my plane leaves on Tuesday; Lighthouse Dive doesn't rent doubles.) I *can* get by with a pair of single tanks (DIN) and will do so if I need to, though I'd prefer doubles if I could get them.

In the end, all I absolutely need is a buddy Sunday morning. Would you like to come along? I can get to Les Davis and leave Titlow. My wife will have the car and I would greatly appreciate being able to jump in with someone for the short drive between them, but I'd absolutely Uber if I had to. If someone had a set of doubles to rent/borrow (one can dream!) I would be eternally grateful. If someone had a pair of DIN tanks I'd be *just* as eternally grateful. If I had to rent tanks from Lighthouse Scuba I'd make it work.

And this plan is not set in stone. Other than wanting to be somewhere in the water near downtown Tacoma Sunday morning, I have no set requirements.

So... Want to go diving?

Hello!

My family and I are taking our first trip to the Pacific Northwest -- in fact, I leave Detroit today! I had originally started a thread for the 9th and after quite a few suggestions that's squared away: I'm diving with 8Diving in Des Moines. (Thread if you're curious, but stay with me here! :) Diving in Seattle / Olympic National Park September 9-11, 2018)

However, I am also looking to do some diving in Tacoma on Sunday, September 23. Once again, I've gotten some very helpful suggestions, but the plan hasn't quite come together yet... So I'm putting out a fresh appeal here in a new thread (with the right date and location!).

A brief bit about me: I'm a reasonably experienced cold-water diver from Michigan. I've got roughly 350 dives, a healthy number of which are in cold quarries and inland lakes with 30 feet of viz or less, and probably 30+ dives in 4+ knot current. I have Advanced Wreck, Intro Cave, Ice Diver and AN/DP certifications. I dive exclusively BP/W and HP steel doubles.

@Trailboss123 has given me a few specific suggestions: Titlow and Les Davis beaches. I understand that Les Davis is not tide-sensitive, but Titlow is. On the 23rd, slack tide is 11:45A.M. For a 60 minute dive, that means getting in the water at 11:15A. That leaves plenty of time to start the morning at Les Davis, then move over to Titlow.

So here's what I propose: 8AM at Les Davis park. In the water by 8:30, for a 60-minute dive. Out by 9:30, packed up by 10:00, over to Titlow, in the water by 11:15A, out by 12:15, done!

I will have all of my own gear (including drysuit) except tanks and weights. I'm all set up for doubles, but I've been unable to find a place to rent them in Tacoma. (Tacoma Scuba closes early on Saturday and doesn't re-open until after my plane leaves on Tuesday; Lighthouse Dive doesn't rent doubles.) I *can* get by with a pair of single tanks (DIN) and will do so if I need to, though I'd prefer doubles if I could get them.

In the end, all I absolutely need is a buddy Sunday morning. Would you like to come along? I can get to Les Davis and leave Titlow. My wife will have the car and I would greatly appreciate being able to jump in with someone for the short drive between them, but I'd absolutely Uber if I had to. If someone had a set of doubles to rent/borrow (one can dream!) I would be eternally grateful. If someone had a pair of DIN tanks I'd be *just* as eternally grateful. If I had to rent tanks from Lighthouse Scuba I'd make it work.

And this plan is not set in stone. Other than wanting to be somewhere in the water near downtown Tacoma Sunday morning, I have no set requirements.

So... Want to go diving?
I am 95% sure that I can join you for the dives. I would not be able to help with the acquisition and drop off of the doubles though.

Well, it looks like @Trailboss123 is out and I’m all by my lonesome. :( *Anyone* up for diving? I can get anywhere between Downtown Seattle and Tacoma! :)

Well, it seems no one was diving that day... Ended up going out with Seattle Dive Tours out of Cove 2. A nice couple of dives, but I thought Redondo Beach was better. Dove with Klayton, and there was a divemaster-in-training with us on shore. Kind of a weird vibe: the two of them were reasonably friendly before the dives, but I don't think Klayton said more than 10 words to me after the dives, though they were non-stop talking to each other... But seeing as my only other alternative was to not dive, it wasn't terrible. Anyway, I preferred my experience at 8 Diving (see the linked thread in the first post) but if you're desperate, Seattle Dive Tours will at least get you in the water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom