Looking for clear glue to fasten lenses to my mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have prescription bi-focal lenses in my mask due to astimatism. They work great and are glued on the inside surface of the mask lense. The prescription lense is flat on the front and curved on the interior. This is my third pair.

I have prescription bi-focal lenses in my mask due to astimatism. They work great and are glued on the inside surface of the mask lense. The prescription lense is flat on the front and curved on the interior. This is my third pair.

Hi, could you please tell me what glue is used for the gluing inside? Silicon caulk? UV cure optical?

Does it stay clear over time?

Thanks

For those of you that are near sighted, but can read just great without your glasses like me, I tired a mono-optic setup my last set of dives in Bonaire, and I love it. With my strongest eye, I have a regular across the counter negative diopter mask lense. I have a "plaino" glass on the other side of my mask for reading gauges and checking out the macro life.

Of course this method may not work for extremely near sighted people, those with astigmatism, or those that need fairly strong lens to read.

Hi there,

I had some challenges as well recently with diving masks and prescription lenses. I have some oceanic shaddow masks and glued, cut and shaped
+2.25 corrective lenses into it.
My first attempts with all above methods did not work out at all, too. I ran into the same disappointing experiences as most of you guys did. Either, glued-in small corrective lenses just fell off, or, proper corrective lenses started fogging up from the outside inwards as I assume water went in on the bond and fogged it up.
Obviously I went on the internet and stumbled over a UV curing adhesive which comes in 2 forms, either somewhat thick conistency or a more liquid
variant of it. Naturally as an engeneer, I wanted to know which one is better and ordered both variants of them with a handy uv lamp/torch they distribute over their
website (surely you can pick up over internet cheaper ones and better ones, I was just tired of wasting more time into that). Anyway, I applied it, cured
it over 20 min with a handheld UV torch of theirs and it worked out fine so far. Keep in mind that this is a non revertable process! That liquid used
properly and cured properly has quite some tons of strength per square inch. Second, I was lucky to have the thicker adhesive as well and applied it
on the rims of the corrective lenses to seal it of properly and not to allow any liquid to penetrate the area inbetween lense and dive mask.

Product is: www.nano470.co.uk.

I will take no responsibility for other peoples work and experience. What worked for me, may not work for you! Keep in mind that the conditions have
to be right, absolutely clear and clean working environment and a steady pair of hands. Make sure you have also the right working utilities at your
disposal. Hope this helps some of you.

The product you are after is called Balsam Canada.

Is what my optometrist friend applied to plano-convex prescription lenses to my masks maaany years ago. He had an optical shop manufacturing lenses for eyeglasses, doing the grinding and shaping.

About 10 years ago, there was an optometrist supply storefront in my neighborhood selling to the public all kinds of prescription lenses for eyeglasses. Now I cannot find any on the web. Prohibited ?, Only accessible to opticians now ?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom