Looking for custom BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cgardner

New
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My girlfriend was born with Holtoarm, which is a heart condition accompanied by a limb defect (specifically her right arm). While she has been cleared for diving by doctors and is currently doing her Open Water course I think that she would be far more comfortable if I could find her a custom BCD with LPI on the right shoulder instead of the left, this way she could still control her buoyancy with her (shorter but still functional) right hand whilst freeing up her left for a left side 2nd stage set up. Can anyone point me in the direction of a manufacturer who could make such a BCD for me?

Your best bet is going to be a backplate and wing set up with the inflator coming over the right shoulder. A few wings have the inflator attached in the middle of the wing itself so routing is not an issue in itself.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9550 using Tapatalk

contact [user]ScottZeagle[/user], certain (all?) models of the Zeagle line can be custom ordered switched.

Last edited:
In regards to a wing with the inflator in the center (so it could swing over either shoulder), Deep Sea Supply's wings have center-mounted inflators. www.deepseasupply.com

Not sure how this would play in, but the butt-dump is (still) on the left-hand-operates-it side.

Another vote to recommend Deep Sea Supply makes an excellent product with the inflator hose in the center for easy routing over either shoulder. Tobin makes a quality product at a very reasonable price and IMHO more durable than the standard jacket style bcd.

In addition many jacket style bcd's are eaisly converted, just unscrew the inflator hose from the left side and swap it with the right shoulder dump, rotate the hose on the inflator hose 180degrees and you are done.

Can your GF use both hands efficiently to get into and out of a set of shoulder straps? I am a fan of BP&W setups, but in the case of divers with disabilities, she might find buckles and quick-release straps (yes, I know that their are potential failure points) easier when abandoning her BCD in case she is making a rough shore exit and gets knocked about in the surf.

Edit: since I just saw that Tobin is on this thread I should quickly add that I am sure that you can get quick-release straps on a BP&W setup. :)

If you read this thread: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ne...-diving/393075-question-zeagle-bc-owners.html you may quickly become a fan of Scott Zeagle and Zeagle dive gear, both for custom orders and in general.

In regards to a wing with the inflator in the center (so it could swing over either shoulder), Deep Sea Supply's wings have center-mounted inflators. www.deepseasupply.com

Not sure how this would play in, but the butt-dump is (still) on the left-hand-operates-it side.

Not an issue as according to the OP her left hand is the one without the problem.

Understood that it may not be an issue. I just mentioned it because for me, having them both used by the same hand means (in my case) "left hand = all wing air management." Whereas in the scenario I was commenting on, she would be using her right hand on the inflator but her left hand on the butt dump.

Since the diver has the use of her left hand, then she could use the inflator on that side too, but apparently she would like to use her "less good" hand for that (or is at least considering it). So, for example, on a standard DSS wing, that would make inflator hose on one hand, and butt dump on the other hand. I was just noting that as a possible factor to consider.

A question I have is: If her right arm is smaller/shorter, would she be able to raise the inflator up high enough to use it to let air out of her wing. Of course one can use the butt dump, but it's nice to have both options.

Blue Sparkle

No need to go custom or back plate and wings unless you want to. Just find a BC with a dump on the upper right shoulder. You can switch the LPI onto the right side and the other dump onto the left side. You already staed you would then have a left side alternate air so it sounds like you have put some thought into this. Wishing you and her the best in your diving future.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom