Looking for DC 500 camera no housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rexlyn

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Looking for a DC 500 camera only as I have an additional housing. Have heard that there are refurbished ones for sale but have been unble to locate one.

Thanks for the time,

rexlyn

Gooooood luck. I bet there are a lot more good housings than 500 cameras in existence, and I doubt that anyone other than Sea Life might refurb them.

I was curious so I did look on ebay and other places. Nada. If anyone does sell one, I'm sure they'll want to sell the housing with it.

Agreed. CheddarChick is correct in the Vivitar 5340s being a clone, or the other way around. The layout is the same and that is what matters fitting the housing and the buttons working the correct feature. There are a few things that are different but it will have the housing taking pictures.

Rexlyn

Agreed. CheddarChick is correct in the Vivitar 5340s being a clone, or the other way around. The layout is the same and that is what matters fitting the housing and the buttons working the correct feature. There are a few things that are different but it will have the housing taking pictures.

Rexlyn
I've heard that Vivitar and Sea Life cameras were similar. That model is difficult to find.....

Or here is a Vivitar 5 mp with housing rated to 45 ft: Walmart.com : Vivitar ViviCam VC-5188 Black 5 MP Digital Camera w/ Underwater case : Digital Cameras More expensive on Ebay of course. :eyebrow:

I wonder if the Argus 5340 might be the same thing? Argus QC-5340 5.0 Megapixel - eBay (item 260256355385 end time Jun-30-08 12:44:23 PDT)

Last edited:
Actually you can "flash" a Vivitar 5340s and it becomes a DC-500 with all the same settings and options.

Instructions for "flashing the bios" for upgrades is in the DC-500 manual. If you have not done this for your DC-500, you should - definately improves operation, especially with a 1 GB card.

I bought a 5340s a little more than a year ago and set it up as a spare since both my wife each have a DC-500 - but have not seen any for sale in about a year.

I am getting ready to upgrade from my DC-500 and will be selling it shortly. However, I'm keeping the spare camera for her system. Make me an offer.

Here is a new Vivitar 5340s if you want to spend that much: Vivitar VIVICAM-5340S 5.0 MegaPixel

Or in the UK?
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW!~-VIVITAR...643229QQcmdZViewItem?IMSfp=TL0806061733a20874

Actually you can "flash" a Vivitar 5340s and it becomes a DC-500 with all the same settings and options.

Instructions for "flashing the bios" for upgrades is in the DC-500 manual. If you have not done this for your DC-500, you should - definately improves operation, especially with a 1 GB card.

I bought a 5340s a little more than a year ago and set it up as a spare since both my wife each have a DC-500 - but have not seen any for sale in about a year.

I am getting ready to upgrade from my DC-500 and will be selling it shortly. However, I'm keeping the spare camera for her system. Make me an offer.
I checked the manual for "bios" finding nothing and went thru all of the hits for "flash" with no info on this. Do you mean "Firmware"...?

[c]http://www.sealife-cameras.com/service/firmware.html
[/c]
The firmware on my DC500 is 112PIE so I guess I am up to date. I did just order a used Vivitar 5340s I found in hopes of doing this, and it sounds like you have - so I'll give it a shot. I do hope "firmware" is what you meant...? :confused:

Any other cameras you can do this with that will fit my housing, or are the housings different...?

Last edited:
I have done the firmware updates for the DC 500. I will give that try on the Vivitar. Got to admit at $45.00 they are inexpensive and if you were to remove the lettering you could not tell them apart.
As for make an offer for the DC 500, what components would the offer be for? Camera only or housing and camera, not quite clear on how you are breaking up the sets that you currently have.

rexlyn

SeaLife does refer to it as a firmware update - basically most computer geeks just call it "flashing the bios".

From what I have seen only the 5430s fits the DC-500 housing.

As far as what I am going to sell - I will entertain offers for housing w/ camera, batteries (3), charger and SD Card(s). Or sell pieces/parts. Would like to get about $200 out of the system.

Both cameras Don identified will work - but the one from UK is 45 euros (not $$) - at current rate that is over $100 - plus I don't think the free shipping applies to the USA.

SeaLife does refer to it as a firmware update - basically most computer geeks just call it "flashing the bios".

From what I have seen only the 5430s fits the DC-500 housing.

As far as what I am going to sell - I will entertain offers for housing w/ camera, batteries (3), charger and SD Card(s). Or sell pieces/parts. Would like to get about $200 out of the system.

Both cameras Don identified will work - but the one from UK is 45 euros (not $$) - at current rate that is over $100 - plus I don't think the free shipping applies to the USA.
Ah, ok - I'm certainly no computer geek so I just searched for the words. Thanks!

Yeah, the UK camera would be less than the US camera I linked but the UK is not on the Euro. 50 GBP would be right at $99.59 US with the softer dollar plus shipping.

A couple more in the UK for 5 GBP less..
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B000BZ4YWY/ref=dp_olp_2

This one says 5350s - a typo? Currently bid at 16 GBP ending in less than an hour: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-VIVITAR-5...rkparms=72:12|39:1|65:12&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Last edited:
Did you find one? Not many in the US it seems but more common in the UK. Finding them on Ebay.co.uk was a little tricky, but I forged thru...

NEW!~ VIVITAR 5340S 5MP DIGITAL CAMERA ~ RRP £129.99 on eBay, also, Digital Cameras, Photography (end time 31-Jul-08 23:39:12 BST) New one with warranty plus 1 Gb SD card for buy-now 50 GPB = almost $100 US plus $18 US shipping.

NEW!~ VIVITAR 5340S 5MP DIGITAL CAMERA ~ RRP £129.99 on eBay, also, Digital Cameras, Photography (end time 04-Jul-08 20:30:00 BST) Same item, seller, shipping as above I think but open for bids. None received and I don't see a reserve?

Caution: Vivitar Vivicam 5340s 5 Mega-Pixel Digital Camera on eBay, also, Digital Cameras, Photography (end time 04-Jul-08 16:28:53 BST) This one is new and open for bids starting at 15 GBP = almost $30 US, does not say if he will ship to US or how much that would be, and has only a 78% rating.

Back
Top Bottom