Looking for Dive Information / Buddy around Townsville 16-28 July

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tyamada

New
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Aloha. I am an Advanced OW diver from Hawaii. I am currently in Townsville and am looking for more information and a buddy for some diving in and around Townsville and the Great Barrier Reef. I have a pretty open schedule for the next few weeks here and am looking for recommendations on where to dive, who to dive with, etc. I have a rental car and can drive to nearby areas.
1. What are the must do dives? I am definitely planning to do Yongala, but apart from that I am pretty open.
2. Is it better to drive to Ayr to dive Yongala or take a boat from Townsville?
3. Are there any good shore dives and are there groups that I can hook up with to do some shore dives?
4. I've never done a liveaboard and am a little hesitant just because I would hate to do a liveaboard and be seasick the whole time.
5. Any other useful information for the area would be much appreciated.

Former long-term Townsville resident...

Drive to Alva Beach and go out with Yongala Dive. The boat from Townsville is regularly cancelled due to weather and/or lack of numbers. I've seen it cancelled 6 weeks straight. I don't recommend it to people unless they're a resident there and have time to spare. Plus, the boat from Alva is 45-50 mins versus the 3+ hours from Townsville.

I have also done the 3 day 3 night Adrenalin dive liveaboard. It's fine, and also gets you to the reef. The boat is basic, so be prepared for that. But it's ok as long as your expectations are reasonable and all you want to do is eat, dive, sleep, repeat.

There is little shore diving to be had, except on Magnetic Island or up at Pelorus Island. You can get yourself to Magnetic Island on the ferry (or the car ferry if you want to take your rental for a couple of days), and Remote Area Dive run trips to Pelorus. I personally think Pelorus is a waste of time unless you're doing cert courses, but ymmv. Alternatively you can try and get in contact with the JCU dive club and see what their plans are. Uni is probably on break right now, but there's probably still a few people around, and they have their own boat. I used to dive with them pretty frequently and they're a good lot :)

Thanks so much for the detailed reply. I was just informed by a local that you can't really shore dive here because of the salt water crocodiles. Crazy.

I booked a Yongala trip with Yongala Dive. I might try one of the shorter liveaboards with Adrenalin. I also signed up for the JCU Dive Club newsletter and reached out to them on FB. Cheers mate!

Former long-term Townsville resident...

Drive to Alva Beach and go out with Yongala Dive. The boat from Townsville is regularly cancelled due to weather and/or lack of numbers. I've seen it cancelled 6 weeks straight. I don't recommend it to people unless they're a resident there and have time to spare. Plus, the boat from Alva is 45-50 mins versus the 3+ hours from Townsville.

I have also done the 3 day 3 night Adrenalin dive liveaboard. It's fine, and also gets you to the reef. The boat is basic, so be prepared for that. But it's ok as long as your expectations are reasonable and all you want to do is eat, dive, sleep, repeat.

There is little shore diving to be had, except on Magnetic Island or up at Pelorus Island. You can get yourself to Magnetic Island on the ferry (or the car ferry if you want to take your rental for a couple of days), and Remote Area Dive run trips to Pelorus. I personally think Pelorus is a waste of time unless you're doing cert courses, but ymmv. Alternatively you can try and get in contact with the JCU dive club and see what their plans are. Uni is probably on break right now, but there's probably still a few people around, and they have their own boat. I used to dive with them pretty frequently and they're a good lot :)

RAD (Remote Area Dive) do half day trips to Maggie island and their calendar shows one on 28 Jul.

I haven’t done one before but I know people who have and enjoyed it. By time you pay for the ferry and tanks as well as hauling your gear over I’d just take their boat from Townsville’s the date works for you.

Did you end up doing the 3D/N liveaboard, I'm doing it between Xmas and new year and wondering what you thought?
I didn't end up doing it. I was there in the winter, and the water was pretty cold when I did the Yongala dive. I decided not to do the liveaboard to avoid being miserable the whole time.

I didn't end up doing it. I was there in the winter, and the water was pretty cold when I did the Yongala dive. I decided not to do the liveaboard to avoid being miserable the whole time.
Ah ok, I'll let you know how it went in a few weeks.
Cheers, Mike

Back
Top Bottom