Looking for dive OP feed back Roatan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

arew+4

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi,
We will be going to Roatan for 12 days in June, renting a house in Sandy Bay area, east of AKR. The two closest dive ops are Octopus, and Blue Island. Anyone here have experience with either of them? Should I commit to diving with one operator (assuming a substantial discount) but therefore limiting us to the north shore only or keep options open? Is there a substantial difference in the diving either east-west or north-south?

TIA,
Andy

In June, you should have good conditions, North or South- no matter.

The end of your paragraph tells me that -searching- on this forum would be of great value for you. There is a vast distinction between the regions of diving, but they are better referred to as South, North and West/North. The use of the word "East" is a flag for that research thing.

Very few people have any real widespread knowledge base of any more than one of those three zones. Yes, they are dramatically different in many ways...flora fauna and reef structure/depth profiles.

Since you're renting a house in Sand Bay, to dive the South side, you're going to have to drive to a South side operation to gain any real access. Look at Barefoot Key about 30 minutes drive. They sit in French Harbor so it's not what you would call scenic, but they do have a good dive operation.

I would pick Media Luna, about another 15 minutes further. They sit in the middle of the actual underwater zone that makes the South side unique.

BTW- I counsel against driving/renting any vehicle on Roatan, but that's my opinion...another subject for search on this forum.

Understand that EVERY West/North day-dive op will claim that they offer South side access. This is a stretch to be polite. Most will do Mary's Place which is a picturesque but dark slot. Compared to what you should go to the South side to see? This is barely a blip. Your North side DMs will be lucky to find very much cool stuff- it simply isn't their turf.

Stay in Sandy Bay, dive with West End dive ops. The smartest way to guage a potential dive op, look at their website...just look at the pix of the dive boats. That's a HUGE part of the equation. Of your two listed, Octopus is further West, has some boat images and is waaaay cheaper per dive.

Last edited:
Octopus is attached to Blue Bahia condos and have a decent reputation here on the island with the expats.

Blue Island is a new shop. I have not spoken with anyone that has dove with them yet so cannot offer anything.

Since you are not staying at an all inclusive. Why not dive with a couple different places, dive with a West End shop, then a west bay shop, then a south side shop. That would let you experience everything this island has to offer.

I only have one trip to Roatan so I don't have anything to compare it to other than 7 or so trips to Cozumel, but if Subway Water Sports based out of Turquoise Bay Resorts takes divers not staying at TBR, I would highly recommmend them. 3 dives a day on the nicest, newest boats I've ever been on. Great DM's, even let us hunt lionfish, we will go back next year.

I wrote a full trip review in this forum last year.

Safe travels,
Jay

I support the recommendation to rent a car and try out various dive ops on the West, South and East parts of the island. The driving is really not that bad, largely because the poor quality of the roads limits everyone to speeds of around 60 km/h. You will appreciate having a car since there is not much going on in Sandy Bay and West End is a good 5 km walk. You will also want to stock up on supplies at Eldon's in Coxen Hole from time to time.

As noted above, there are many excellent dive ops on Roatan. Our favourites are Roatan Divers in West End, Barefoot Divers on the South side and Dive Pangea in the East end. We like these boutique outfits for their low ratios, strong safety orientation and environmentally conscious approach. I don't have any experience with the two dive ops that you are contemplating but I would recommend that you search this forum, TripAdvisor, etc. for reviews.

June is a great time to visit. Hope you have an amazing trip!

Octopus is a good shop. If your house rental is within walking distance, then it is a no brainer.

Don't feel you have to commit all your dives to one shop. Most of the smaller shops will help you arrange diving on the south side or east end with their competitors.

There is a substantial difference between the areas as others have mentioned. No direct experience with either Op you mentioned, but there is a ton of info in this sub forum on different ops.

Even if you just spend a day or two on the channel (south) side of the island and get 5 or 6 dives in there it will have been worth the drive or cab ride over. Barefoot is nice, and there are a few others too. We do the resorts so we dive with the Op located in them (AKR, Fantasy, and CoCo).

Have fun! June is a good time. We usually go down the week before Memorial day. Pace is slower off season and less crowded.

Hi,
We will be going to Roatan for 12 days in June, renting a house in Sandy Bay area, east of AKR. The two closest dive ops are Octopus, and Blue Island. Anyone here have experience with either of them? Should I commit to diving with one operator (assuming a substantial discount) but therefore limiting us to the north shore only or keep options open? Is there a substantial difference in the diving either east-west or north-south?

TIA,
Andy
I've been to Roatan 4 times and dove with Coconut Tree Divers the last 3 times. I love the people in that shop and everything about it. From my personal experience the equipment has always worked well. Have a blast!

Has anyone used Infinity Divers at the Infinity Bay resort? Would be interested in hearing about your experiences?

Back
Top Bottom