Looking for dive sites...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jayde323

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am a transplanted Houstonian living in Florida. Since my last visit home I started diving and was wondering what are some good dive sites within 2-3 hours drive from west Houston. My husband and I are looking to visit in the first half of next year and wanted to start researching sites now. We most likely will be diving in S. Padre to visit my aunt's reefball and are considering the Flower Gardens as well (depending on time and $$$). We have experience in many different dive conditions, from <1 foot viz in the Gulf to 100+ in the Keys. Fresh or salt, we are just looking to dive (a good excuse to take a break from the family! :D)

Any info you could provide would be great!

Stacey

Hi.... well as you have mentioned the GoM and the FG are nice....also you might give some thought to Lake Travis near Austin---nice shore and pontoon//boat diving. Also Mammoth Dive Park in Clute is open for business, as well as the Blue Lagoon dive park near Huntsville. These are just a few possibles.

I am a transplanted Houstonian living in Florida. Since my last visit home I started diving and was wondering what are some good dive sites within 2-3 hours drive from west Houston. My husband and I are looking to visit in the first half of next year and wanted to start researching sites now. We most likely will be diving in S. Padre to visit my aunt's reefball and are considering the Flower Gardens as well (depending on time and $$$). We have experience in many different dive conditions, from <1 foot viz in the Gulf to 100+ in the Keys. Fresh or salt, we are just looking to dive (a good excuse to take a break from the family! :D)

Any info you could provide would be great!

Stacey

I have been in Austin a little over 2 years and are still discovering spots in Lake Travis it is so big and has so much diversity to explore. Lake Georgetown is North of Austin and rocky, Canyon Lake, New Braunfells, Comal River, San Marcos to name a few spots around Austin to discover.

These sites are Lakes and rivers, all freshwater.

Shawn O'Shea

Not sure where you'll be on Padre Island, but if you are in the South Padre area there are plenty of wrecks to dive. Check out The Texas Clipper : American Diving for more info. Lots of rig diving up and down the coast too.

Back
Top Bottom