Looking for Dry Gloves

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This thread is of great interest to me as I am looking to add a dry glove system to my DUI CF200.
Will the SI Tech Quick Glove or Quick Clamp system work with such a system? I am looking something that I don't have to glue in.

Thanks.

While it may work, you probably are better off with something else. They don't seem to get recommended. Almost all of the dry glove ring systems do not require gluing to be used.

That makes sense but then do the gloves get squeezed as you go deep ?

The issue is less about squeeze when going deep and more about evacuating the air when ascending.

The Ultima DGS and the Si-Tech systems come with little spaghetti like silicone tubes about 8-inches long that can be fitted under the wrist seals so that one end is in the glove and one end is in the suit sleeve. The inner diameter is only about 1mm.

I have dived my gloves system down to 35 meters without the equalization tubes in place and while the gloves did "squeeze" it did not cause discomfort or any significant changes in dexterity.

The pressure difference the deeper you go gets proportionally smaller from one depth to the next, so there should not be significantly more squeeze at 40 meters than there is at 30 meters.

Upon ascent though, air that seeps/burps past the wrist seal into the glove has no place to go. On one particular dive a couple of months ago, my buddy team ascended to find a bunch of people in the quarry ascended just before us. We had to wait our turn, floating, to use the ladder to climb onto the dock. No worries, I just added air to my suit and my wing and just hung out....but everytime I raised my arms, the air bubble that was concentrated around my shoulders and arms would seep past the wrist seal into the glove...I had blue "mickey mouse" hands by the time it was our turn to climb the ladder. I had to be careful not puncture a glove in their inflated state as I could not deflate them until after I got out of the water and could separate my dry gloves from my suit. It was warm and dry, but a bit dysfunctional.

I have dived with the tubes ever since and not had any further issues.

Some divers will use coffee stirrer straws, some will use a small length of thin bungee cord, others use the thumb tab on the wrist of their undersuit, as examples of ways to disrupt the seal to allow air equalize in and out of the glove.

-Z

While it may work, you probably are better off with something else. They don't seem to get recommended. Almost all of the dry glove ring systems do not require gluing to be used.

The quick glove is not a recommended system but the Si-Tech Glove Lock system works well. My wife has the Glove Lock system on her drysuit which has the si-tech round wrist rings glued in to integrate with, but a friend has also installed the Glove Lock system on his drysuit which has glued on latex seals and no permanent wrist ring system.

He commented that the install was quick and easy, require no glue, and so far has only had one issue but has decided it was user error and did not have the glove side ring properly inserted with the lockring turned all the way...he did not know it should click into position when turned and was basically diving with it just friction fit together. My wife has not had any issues with her setup.

-Z

compressor mentioned the quick glove/quick clamp setup and not glove lock. issue with glove lock is the cost is nearly the same as the waterproof ultima at retail.

They are two different systems meant for different rings. Ultima is for oval rings. The SiTech ones mentioned are for round rings.

They are two different systems meant for different rings. Ultima is for oval rings. The SiTech ones mentioned are for round rings.
The Ultima system may fit on the SiTech oval rings, but it turns them into a round system. The Ultima rings are based on the Diving Concepts system. Waterproof bought the DC copyright and enlarged the rings plus gave them a more pliable O-ring. I have used Diving Concepts and Ultima systems on the same suit.

The issue is less about squeeze when going deep and more about evacuating the air when ascending.

The Ultima DGS and the Si-Tech systems come with little spaghetti like silicone tubes about 8-inches long that can be fitted under the wrist seals so that one end is in the glove and one end is in the suit sleeve. The inner diameter is only about 1mm.

I have dived my gloves system down to 35 meters without the equalization tubes in place and while the gloves did "squeeze" it did not cause discomfort or any significant changes in dexterity.

The pressure difference the deeper you go gets proportionally smaller from one depth to the next, so there should not be significantly more squeeze at 40 meters than there is at 30 meters.

Upon ascent though, air that seeps/burps past the wrist seal into the glove has no place to go. On one particular dive a couple of months ago, my buddy team ascended to find a bunch of people in the quarry ascended just before us. We had to wait our turn, floating, to use the ladder to climb onto the dock. No worries, I just added air to my suit and my wing and just hung out....but everytime I raised my arms, the air bubble that was concentrated around my shoulders and arms would seep past the wrist seal into the glove...I had blue "mickey mouse" hands by the time it was our turn to climb the ladder. I had to be careful not puncture a glove in their inflated state as I could not deflate them until after I got out of the water and could separate my dry gloves from my suit. It was warm and dry, but a bit dysfunctional.

I have dived with the tubes ever since and not had any further issues.

Some divers will use coffee stirrer straws, some will use a small length of thin bungee cord, others use the thumb tab on the wrist of their undersuit, as examples of ways to disrupt the seal to allow air equalize in and out of the glove.

-Z
I did that once as well. At 20' slightly overfilled glove. 10' it was big. Surface I thought it might pop off, it was full. But I could still use the hand. The fingers were down in the palm of the glove it was like wearing a mitten. I could still climb the ladder back onto the boat. I use the little leakers under the wrist seals all the time now. I've thought about it, if I holed a glove bad enough I could pop it off, pull out the string, and put the (now wet) glove back on. I've heard of people setting up a string that the can pull out from inside the suit, I never found a way to make that work.

I did the same, replacing the gloves with thicker ones. The O-rings "break in" after a while, making it easier to remove the gloves post-dive. Make sure you do NOT use silicone on them, as the owner of Kubi tells me the O-ring material absorbs silicone and makes things worse.
yup - silicone is murder on the oring lube with wax

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom