Looking for drysuit course/instructor recommendations in Monterey

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SF Brent

Registered
Reaction score
Just picked up a drysuit and am looking for recommendations for a class or instructor either in San Francisco or Monterey. Don't need cert card necessarily, just need a primer on safe and effective use of the suit. Thanks!

bamboo reef, diver dans, and anywater sports all could do the padi class. could message beto and ask about the gue drysuit primer. other option is to see if there are any more experienced drysuit divers in any dive clubs you are part of and see if they could just mentor you.

Hi Brett,

I'm in the same boat. Just picked up a drysuit and I'm wondering about options for getting trained or mentored. I don't need a cert for the sake of having a cert. What did you end up doing? I'm in Monterey, FWIW.

Hi Brett,

I'm in the same boat. Just picked up a drysuit and I'm wondering about options for getting trained or mentored. I don't need a cert for the sake of having a cert. What did you end up doing? I'm in Monterey, FWIW.
in all honesty its not that hard you can take an instructional course but its simply time in the water, -heres may suggestions until you have it sorted :
dont do any pinnacle dives
no overheads
no deco dives
once you've got it its fantastic and you wont want to go back - youll get various opinions on it but i consider the most important one is to make sure you have good fitting feet so that you don't get air in them - wear 2 pairs of socks if you have to.
in regard to buoyancy - i use the bcd as primary control and the dry suit as fine tuning but it personal choice, i know guys who do it the other way around or you can just use the bcd exclusively fro buoyancy and the dry suit has just enough air to insulate and not compress your fleece undergarment

here what i would do... hold my beer pls.
take a PADI course this will make u some what functional in drysuit.
then you can email Beto Nava and take proper classes which are simply priceless. those are classes where you can manage your suit in 5ft of water :)
then put one couple of hundred dives and u be fine :)
ping me if u want to dive single tanks.

Back
Top Bottom