looking for DSMB recommendations : 6 ft or 7 ft, self sealing, orange, dump valve and oral inflator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

afieldofblue

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Hello all,

My faithful, if expensive, Mares Alert Diver DSMB is starting to tear up, and I need to find a replacement.
I've just spent some time looking at threads and browsing, but can't really find what I'm looking for, ie a product with similar specs (Diver's Alert Marker)

I'm currently working in Mexico, but also often guide in challenging conditions so minimum length is 1.80 m or 6 ft, 7 ft would be good.

Otherwise orange for the color (I also work in CMAS environments where yellow color indicates an emergency DSMB)
Self sealing, as like to use my alternate air source to inflate (the "duck bill" design work great).
Reflective strips
Oral /LPI inflator connection
dump / overpressure valve (deployed at depth)
Weighed bottom for stability on the surface

Larger would be better.

And most of all sturdy, so good quality. I'd be diving with it every day, and in some cases deployng it 3 to 4 times a day.

Would anyone have any pointers?

Thanks a bunch

ben

The 1m tall closed circuit diver alert markers with 2.5kg lift are easier to manage and launch from depth; the super big 1.8m tall markers with 23kg lift (unless being used as emergency redundant buoyancy at depth) are best deployed as secondary markers on the surface, in large swell/poor visibility conditions.

Zero Gravity Dive Shop in Puerto Aventuras, Riviera Maya Mexico has these models (contact and see if they can ship to you):

Diver Alert Markers & Lift Devices

Last edited:
On the DAN 6' marker, do you know if it is self sealing (duck valve design) and with weighted?

The bottom has a duck-bill valve. Mine doesn't have a weight, which I would have removed if it did. There is a mesh pocket near the bottom so it would be easy to add lead if you want.

Thanks for the link - I've been using 1.80 m DSMBs for a few years now and really wouldn't want anything smaller, especially on liveaboards when we're being picked up by dinghys.
No problem launching them, I usualy send it before the safety stop, between 12 and 6 m, and lift isn't an issue with a spool.
I've been using mine as signalling device when shallow in heavy boat traffic areas as well. It's pretty chaotic near the sea lion colony here, with boats dropping off snorkelers really shallow, had to hold customers down in 3 m of water while a propeller was zooming overhead - never thought they'd come so close, not fun, so now it's SMB from 6 m onwards.

The Mares one lasted 3 years. My wife got the same model and it only lasted one 6 month season in Thailand, seems like quality's gone down, especially near the duck bill valve. We still got her another Mares, looks more like the one I'd been using, but now that mine is ripping up I'd like to try another brand, easier to get outside Europe.

Larger would be better.

And most of all sturdy, so good quality.

I have over a thousand dives on my Carter SMB. Quality isn't cheap, but it's what all the commercial divers use in Florida
Different sizes depending on what you like

Personal Floats Safety Sausage Tubes

I have over a thousand dives on my Carter SMB. Quality isn't cheap, but it's what all the commercial divers use in Florida
Different sizes depending on what you like

Personal Floats Safety Sausage Tubes

Thanks for the link, this is exactly the kind of product I'm looking for. The Mares was in the 70 euro mark, so not much of a difference

thanks again

ben

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom