Looking for Edge epic service manual

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You have to have a Hog D1 for the class and it is the only reg covered in the class(from what I read). If you have read the book by Vance Harlow also required for the class servicing you Edge should be easy after. There should be a good amount of carry over in design and servicing from the D1 to the your Edge.

As per an earlier post, the guts on the first and second stages are essentially the same. Getting my hands on a D1 is nothing that my cc can't fix.

With my apologies to Chris, who is at Beneath the Sea and presumably too busy to wade back into this mud puddle for possibly stepping on his toes but let me share my thoughts as someone who has taught the TDI Hog class to more people than anyone else:

Technical diving isn’t just more and better gear; it’s also more and better knowledge and skills. Technical divers have to accept a lot more risk than recreational divers which means that they need to work hard at mitigating that risk. Chris believes (so do I) that all technical divers should have the knowledge and skills to inspect, clean, overhaul and adjust their gear so that they KNOW it is in working order. Recreational divers, not so much.

Learning how to service your own equipment requires dedication, time and money that most recreational divers would be better off investing in becoming a better diver. This isn’t like taking a Fish ID or Equipment Maintenance class. Simply put, a technical certification helps to demonstrate that the diver has the need as well the prerequisite moxie to pay attention, put the effort in and be aggressively self-critical. Recreational divers, not nearly so much.

If you think you can learn to service a regulator by reading a book or a manual (or even lots of books) you’re bat-**** crazy. There are many critical skills and lots of critical knowledge that can only be learned hands-on and while a book may give you some of what you need to know it simply cannot give you everything that you need to know. The best place to learn these skills is working at the bench with an experienced technician leaning over your shoulder guiding and coaching you, second-best is a structured course like the Hog class where you actually do the work real-time.

Chris has broken new ground by creating the TDI Hog class and a clear path is available for those who really want to learn how to work on his technical regulators. A LOT of work has gone into trying to find a way to responsibly, ethically, rationally and effectively give people a way to learn how to work on their own regulators. That path may not be easy and it may not be cheap but it’s there and it’s a quality program. It gets more than a little tiresome listening to all the whinging and scraping about this from divers, especially given the considerable blowback received from local dive shops and other manufacturers about the program – some of those folks feel very threatened by the idea. The frustration Chris expressed may have a lot to do with the fact that no matter what he does with this training program, somebody gets hacked off. Sometimes it feels like the caterwauling from the harder-core DIY advocates has more to do with wanting something for nothing than anything else – which any technical diver quickly learns is a fool’s bargain. At any rate, to have to endure sniping from the potential beneficiaries of this effort is disheartening, to say the least.

At this time, there is NO official service manual for any of the Edge or Hog regulators, although I have created a step-by-step manual for the D1 that I give to students who take the TDI Hog course from me. Chris has reviewed it and has approved it but until some details get ironed out, it isn’t yet official. Maybe someday, hopefully soon, who knows? If you already know how to service regulators and all you want the manual for is a little guidance, there is a special path that you might qualify for that will skip some of the classroom time. Send me a PM with a list of the regulator service courses you have taken and what experience you have and we'll talk.

Chris is offering a quality regulator at a daft price and is busting his not-inconsiderable balls to provide a level of customer service (including a way for divers to learn to service at least some of his line) that is second to none. My suggestion to all of you who think the Hog program is inadequate is that you find another manufacturer who is willing to do more for you.

In the meantime, if you’re in the Chicago area and are interested in taking the Hog class from the guy who actually wrote the only manual that’s out there, PM me. I’ll only be teaching it a couple of times between now and the end of the summer dive season but there will be more once the lake turns this Fall.

Reefraff,

Thank for the reply. I understand your points. I agree with most. I understand the Tech mindset on gear understanding and gear maint. My point is that as a rec diver(for now) in Louisiana I cannot get a Hog reg serviced. I want to learn to work on my own if I get one. NO LDS here will work on them for the reasons you mention. I can't be the only diver willing to do so. I say if you are going to piss peaople off, piss of the ones that aren't going to pay you and make as many paying customers happy as you can. I would bet on a huge increase in customers if opened up to rec divers. I bet we could have sold 100 regs in this thread if a class was opened to rec divers. Thats just in this thread and more once the word spread. Maybe rec divers with 100+ dives and some other requirements othere than just a tech cert. Let the rest of the industry hate you and your customers love you! Long live the open market and Edge/Hog too.

Later Mon,
Nick

Reefraff, 26 hours ago I would have disagreed with you on many of your points. Why 26 hours ago? Well that is about the time I pulled into the Laquinta Inn parking lot after a four hour drive. I took the HOG reg repair class with Rod yesterday and all I can say is "you don't know what you don't know". Now I fully agree with your comments. Now I'm the proud owner of a shiny new HOG D1 reg repair manual:D, with a bunch of notes in it now on info that you can only acquire from taking a class with an experienced instructor. Plus we had a visit from Boss Hog himself. It was a long day but totally worth it.

Last edited:
FYI, I am not trying to beat up on Chris or Hog. Im begging him to TAKE MY MONEY!

If you think you can learn to service a regulator by reading a book or a manual (or even lots of books) you’re bat-**** crazy. There are many critical skills and lots of critical knowledge that can only be learned hands-on and while a book may give you some of what you need to know it simply cannot give you everything that you need to know. The best place to learn these skills is working at the bench with an experienced technician leaning over your shoulder guiding and coaching you, second-best is a structured course like the Hog class where you actually do the work real-time.

I see this as a severe overstatement of the truth. One can successfully learn to service their own regulators by reading Vance Harlow's book. Many people have been doing just that for many years. Sure, the little tricks that make it easier or faster may be a bit harder to come by, but the book is all many people need to provide the necessary knowledge (and confidence). Sure, you can also screw a regulator up and some folks would benefit from a experienced tech looking over their shoulder preventing some of those errors. It is hard to beat having a good mentor help you get started; but far from necessary to get started.

I suspect most tech divers who wanted to service their own gear already did so before HOG was introduced.

I took the HOG reg repair class with Rod yesterday and all I can say is "you don't know what you don't know".

Yeah, but How Much didn't you know..............now that you know? How about an example of this secret lore?

Yeah, but How Much didn't you know..............now that you know? How about an example of this secret lore?

Well one of the tidbits of "secret lore" is the order in which to assemble the first stage so you don't ruin the HP seat. I would have done it wrong. You do get the service manual with all the torque specs in it, some instructions on removing some pesky o-rings with out ruining the sealing surfaces. I would have to look at my notes to list some more.

Well one of the tidbits of "secret lore" is the order in which to assemble the first stage so you don't ruin the HP seat. I would have done it wrong. You do get the service manual with all the torque specs in it, some instructions on removing some pesky o-rings with out ruining the sealing surfaces. I would have to look at my notes to list some more.
I would think that kind of straightforward instruction would be set forth explicitly in the official reg servicing manual. I don't know if I would term that sort of info "secret lore." That kind of info is in every other official servicing manual for other reg brands.

That being said, it's comforting to have an experienced mentor watch over you when you are learning the ins and outs of reg servicing, but a well-written reg servicing manual can go a long way to helping DIYers steer clear of common pitfalls in the disassembly/reassembly procedures.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom