Looking for Gear in Bay Islands and Nearby Countries

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lilium

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey! Just got OW certified in Cozumel a couple of weeks ago, and now I'm about to go to Utila for my AOW. I am planning on diving frequently (over 40 dives in the next month or so alone), mainly in tropical waters, and plan on getting a full kit at some point.
I'm currently in Roatan and was planning on getting a mask and dive computer at a Mares here first.

They offered a Puck Pro computer for $240USD, and a highly recommended frameless mask and snorkel combo for about $60USD. The girl at the shop was very friendly and knowledgeable. I figured I would get these here before going to Utila because the selection there may be more limited.

Where we're diving in Utila includes free rentals, but we're returning to Roatan and the dive resort we're going to there charges quite a bit for rentals, and I'm conisdering investing in more equipment before then to avoid some of those costs.

It's a week of 20 dives, and the rentals for that time in USD is:
Fins $35
BCD $80
Regulator $80
Wetsuit $50

Because it's warmer water I was wondering if I could get away with just a skin suit?
Which would you say are worth it to get now, or I should hold off until I have more experiences under my belt? I am travelling a lot and need it to be practical to carry with me.
I was considering getting a gear bag bigger than I need and keeping the rest of my stuff in it with dry bags, thoughts?
Also if anyone knows anywhere in this area or in Central America to buy second hand gear?

Thanks!

You want some sort of head to toe coverage based on my experiences with fire coral in Roatan, dive skin or thin wetsuit depends on how warm you are at the end of a day of diving.

That price for rentals doesn't see unreasonable (but I never rent, so what do I know?). But if you can buy fins that work for you that seems worth buying, assuming the price is decent. But I have a bunch of fins, most of which I never use, so make sure you are buying ones you liked in the water.

BCDs and regs are typically fairly high cost, so probably wouldn't suggest going there yet.

Mask is a good one to buy where you dive, if you can work it out with shop: if they let you dive in them until you find one that doesn't leak. Same with finding fins that fit.

I would recommend buying a computer early but your quoted price is a good hundred bucks over what pucks go for in US, so...

I believe there's still a Mares store on Utila also - affiliated with the one on Roatan you're likely going to. Utila Mares Store

For other brands: Diveshack

Back
Top Bottom