Looking for heavy backplate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kwinter

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm looking for a heavy steel backplate. Most of the stainless backplates are 4-5 pounds. I remember someone making heavier ones years ago, but can't remember the source. I know that ISC has one on their web site that is 1/4 inch thick and weighs 11 pounds. That would be perfect, but I was hoping for something a little less costly than the $168 they list it for. Although that isn't really terrible.

Anyone have a source for a very heavy stainless backplate? No harness needed.

Unified team diving have a thick (12lbs) backplate on their website.

That will only add 6 pounds to my existing plate. I'm trying to double up the plate and add 11 pounds. Like 16 pounds total. Not sure the STA would work with the rebreather anyway. But it was a good suggestion. Keep 'em coming, folks. So far people have let me know about 5 or 6 overseas sources for 6 mm plates, but they are all more expensive than the ISC option. Someone has to have one they're looking to unload.

And I'm still trying to find out if Fred T is still around and making backplates.

Don't know. One option is to send him the attached pic to jog his memory.

[EMAIL="ftagge@goldinc.com"]ftagge@goldinc.com
[/EMAIL]

18" extreme top of plate to bottom. My design, he probably still has the plans. It is about 11 pounds in 3/16" marine stainless, should just hit 15 pounds at 1/4" (his max for bending).

I milled the narrow slots at either side for a downlooking GoPro mount, you won't get that. the four small slots near the bolt holes are bending strain reliefs so the strips of holes won't bow outward. 8 degree tilt so the straps lay flat on your shoulders, webbing crosses below holes so just one continuous piece of webbing with no need to burn holes. Obviously, this is a doubles-only design. waist belt is set and forget, unless you like to adjust, then only use one set of slots and a keeper. Ignore the salt stains, I only rinse regs, tanks, and DC's.

BTW, you will get a satin finish. That mirror finish took a hell of a lot of work.

Attachments

• TenPounderIn3_16inSS.jpeg
    TenPounderIn3_16inSS.jpeg
    186.3 KB · Views: 277
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom