Looking For Hydro Testing Company

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Resqdivemedic

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm looking for a company in southern New England that does tank hydros. I'm trying to see if it would be cheaper to go directly to the source instead of my LDS. Thanks in advance.

it will be, but you have to find them. There is list online somewhere of all of the DOT hydro facilities so you'll have to call around and ask them what they charge and if they have the spuds for scuba tanks *many won't*

You'll still need VIP and fill. You may not save any money. There's also gasoline spent driving the tanks around here and there.

You'll still need VIP and fill. You may not save any money. There's also gasoline spent driving the tanks around here and there.

$50 at our local dive shop, includes vip but no fill
$20 for vip, no fill

$25 for hydro at the local Pye Barker, includes a VIP sticker.
If you are willing to drive about 90 minutes, it's $15, with a vip sticker *$20 with vip sticker and air fill*.

We usually get a bunch of people together and try to do hydro at the same time to dump 10-20 tanks off and it is WELL worth it.

Thanks. I forgot what I'm paying now, but whenever reasonable, I like to help keep Bill in Bidness.

Hey tbone? "$50 at our local dive shop, includes vip but"
That's downright white of them to include the VIP. Especially since the dive industry uses DOT approved facilities for the hydro, and the DOT requires a VIP is performed BEFORE ANY OTHER PART OF THE HYDRO.
So, if a tank has been hydro'd? That's right, a VIP was done, and the hydro stamp on the cylinder is proof of who did it, and that it passed. "But they're not up to SCUBA standards" someone said. Ah, OK, so the hydro shop itself doesn't understand what standards they're inspecting the tank for? Umm.

Ask Abbott and Costello said, "Niagara Falls! Slowly I turned, and step by step...."

Resq, check with your local fire department. They have SCBA packs that are used every day and locally VIP'd and hydro tested. Often the shop doing their business will hydro a divers tank for $25. No pickup, no delivery, no fill, but it will be a hydro that's good enough for your local first responders, and that's good enough for me.

@Rred the shops don't usually put VIP stickers on and they do not do any valve work *well, mine always puts new viton neck o-rings on which is nice of them*, but in general, most of the time it's a quick double check and slap a sticker on there.
I use my local FD's fill station and I do use their hydro shop as well, though I've been using the hydro shop for almost a decade before I moved down here so it's purely coincidental.

Again, you have to check with the hydro shops if they have the Scuba spuds though, not all of them do

Pardon a minor tangent, but what are the requirements to maintain a "+" rating on a LP tank? My LDS says they have never had one come back, and I am the first one in 20 years to ask it be evaluated that way....

It is pointless to have lp85 that can't be 85 cu ft.....

Then again, I fill my own there. Issue is with travel....

@rhwestfall there is a requirement from the manufacturer for allowable expansion. Faber now puts the REE on the tank neck so the hydro shops don't have to look it up. If you have a good hydro guy, you can ask them to + rate them if they pass, but they have to reference the REE and if the manufacturer makes this difficult or impossible to find, then they can't do it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom