Looking for info on history of diving in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tom_n_tacoma

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Greetings divers!

I am a geographer from the University of Washington Tacoma campus and am conducting a study of scuba diving related tourism in Cozumel, Mexico. I am looking for information on the origin and development of that industry in Cozumel. If you or anyone you can think of have any ideas on where I might look for information or who I might speak with, I would greatly appreciate it. You can also private message me if you want.

Thanks,

Tom

Well the bad news is most of the people who were envolved have died. You might want to try and contact Roman Zapatas son who has a dive shop in chancanab. His father was one of the founders of Aqua Safari which was one of the first shops on the island. I cannot help you here with addresses etc. For the beginning of Cozumel as a tourist destination look up the old Holiday magazine and check out the issue from May 1958 (there were two articles i just have the second listed.) VERY INTERESTING

I hope that you are able to find all of the info that you are looking for. There are still many people here in the island that I think that you would find to be good people to talk to. Do you have plans to come to the island? I worked for Roman Zapata (jr) many years ago. His father was a part of a group with Cousteu. Also you have many other old divers who are still around as well as the original owners of the first dive shops in Cozumel.

Bill Horn from Aqua Safari
Charro from Charro and sons
Blondy who is the owner of several dive boats
Javier from Scuba Repair

and the list goes on.

If I can be of any help please free to email me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom