Looking for input on a problem with a Legend LX

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jd950

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
On a recent dive trip my Legend LX had been fine for a couple of days of boat dives but then suddenly began breathing wet as I began a shore dive. I switched to my octo and continued the dive, with the intent of giving it a try at depth in case the pressure somehow made a difference. As one would expect, that didn't work; it went from breathing pretty wet, to being extremely wet. When I got back home I had a tech look at it and he found the diaphragm in the second stage had a tear in it, about 1/2" long.

I have no idea what caused this, especially since it happened mid-dive trip. Tech said it was a very unusual problem and may have said he had never seen it before.

Wondering if anyone has any insight into how often this occurs, what might cause it and ultimately, whether it would be worth trying to get my hands on a spare diaphragm to have in a save-a-dive kit, or if this is enough of a freak occurrence not to worry about it.

Thanks

2nd stage diaphragms don't last forever...that is why they are available (to shops mostly) as replacement parts. How old is your Legend LX and how many dives does it have? The diaphragm should be inspected and replaced as needed during periodic regulator maintenance. While it may be rare, it is not unheard of for a diaphragm to fail between maintenance cycles.

I new diaphragm cost roughly between $5 and $20 depending on make/model/source of part. Should you carry one in your save-a-dive kit? Pehaps, but I think it would be more prudent to just insist the diaphragm be replaced each time your 2nd stage is serviced (should be @ every 2 years).

-Z

Yeah, that is pretty odd. I almost never have to replace a 2nd stage diaphragm. I wonder if someone in the past used an ad hoc metal tool to remove the diaphragm retainer instead of the plastic Aqualung tool. "Insert a pointed metal object into opening and twist" could possibly do it.

And definitely talking about the diaphragm and not the exhaust valve, right?

On a recent dive trip my Legend LX had been fine for a couple of days of boat dives but then suddenly began breathing wet as I began a shore dive. I switched to my octo and continued the dive, with the intent of giving it a try at depth in case the pressure somehow made a difference. As one would expect, that didn't work; it went from breathing pretty wet, to being extremely wet. When I got back home I had a tech look at it and he found the diaphragm in the second stage had a tear in it, about 1/2" long.

I have no idea what caused this, especially since it happened mid-dive trip. Tech said it was a very unusual problem and may have said he had never seen it before.

Wondering if anyone has any insight into how often this occurs, what might cause it and ultimately, whether it would be worth trying to get my hands on a spare diaphragm to have in a save-a-dive kit, or if this is enough of a freak occurrence not to worry about it.

Thanks

First, you should have bought an Atomic regulator (from the Huishoutdoors group) :p

Most likely the problem with the diaphragm started much earlier, perhaps over weeks or several dives, as a tiny pinhole and got bigger and bigger and eventually just got to the point it got to during the dive. This type of failure is rare but does happen. The problem is usually detected during the periodic regulator service by a conscientious technician who knows how to inspect and detect pinholes in the regulator second stage diaphragm and who actually does the proper checking during the service.

Yep, the diaphragm. It was about 6 years old and I have no recall of it being replaced. Not really sure how many dives on it. Not a huge number. No idea if a service tech damaged it or there was a pinhole that grew, or something else. Like many, I have no idea what goes on at the tech bench after I drop the reg off for service.

I think the suggestion of just replacing it (the diaphragm, not the reg) every couple years makes sense.

Guess I should get a Huish instead. :wink:

Actually the only other reg I had fail on me was either a Z2 or ST1. To be fair though, it had been assembled incorrectly by a tech and I found the problem when testing it out in a pool.

I think the suggestion of just replacing it (the diaphragm, not the reg) every couple years makes sense.

I don't think that you have to do it that frequently.

I don't think that you have to do it that frequently.
Strongly agree, but go ahead if you want. That is NOT a part that wears out often, if at all. Pretty rare event.

Out of curiosity, where was the tear? Was it from the center branching out or was it in the outer edge or somewhere in the middle?

I've seen a few diaphragms with small holes. In your case, the brand of regulator would not have made a difference.

Changing the diaphragm during each service interval isn't necessary if it is properly checked. Furthermore, a new diaphragm needs to be checked, just like the old one. I have found one that had a pin hole in it.

Okay, so maybe replace every 4 years or so? Perhaps I can just ask specific questions about checking for pinholes, but not sure I would get much comfort from that. I have tried in the attached picture (from the web) to show in red where the tear was. The outer edge of the diaphragm is thicker and the tear was right where the material is thinner, and followed the circular shape of the diaphragm, if that makes sense.

Attachments

• Aqualung-Second-Stage-Scuba-Regulator-Diaphragm-Retainer-Ring-_1.jpg
    Aqualung-Second-Stage-Scuba-Regulator-Diaphragm-Retainer-Ring-_1.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 57
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom