Looking for input on thickness and style of wetsuit for a variety of conditions.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Blue Sparkle

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello everyone,

I'm a new diver, and this is my first post here. Thanks for having such a great forum!

(I wonder if I should have put this in the "New Diver" area?)

In a nutshell, I've done quite a bit of snorkeling in Panama and Belize (was lucky enough to be cruising there on a friend's sailboat about five years ago), but am fairly new to diving.

I got certified in spring of 2005 and did two dives in the Keys that year, and then two more in the Keys in 2008. Now I'm planning a trip there later this month.

Before we sailed to the tropics, I went to a LDS in San Diego for advice on a wetsuit, and the consensus of the staff was that no wetsuit was needed and I should get a full coverage dive skin. I did that, and while the full coverage part was great, I *froze* Even though the water was normally around 80º, and I'm a fairly active swimmer when snorkeling, and the sun was out, and I was on the surface.... my hands and feet would be numb in an hour or so, and the rest of me cold after just a half hour. I was wearing neoprene gloves, and occasionally booties too (they did not fit in my favored fins though). My friends were not uncomfortable, so I think that means I tend to be chillier than most people. And I don't like to be chilly when I'm supposed to be having fun!

When I went diving the previous two times, I wasn't cold, but the rental wetsuits did not even come close to fitting me. I vowed not to dive again without my own wetsuit.

I've since found that even the wetsuit companies that make a large variety of wetsuit sizes don't make any that will even come close to fitting me ("womanly" hips but kind of tomboyish on top...). So I'm thinking custom suit, and have (almost) chosen to go with Liquid Fit (more on that in another thread).

What I would like some help in deciding is what style(s) to get and what thicknesses. I did spend a couple of hours searching and reading older posts, but I still have questions.

Edited to add: The upcoming trip is to the Florida Keys in winter, but I would like to be able to use the suit(s) for, say, a summer Keys or Belize trip too. So I am thinking of two or more pieces for flexibility (I realize that one suit can't do everything, but I'm thinking about a water temperature range from 75º to 85º

I really like the one piece coveralls style to my dive skin, so I think I would like that for sure. Then maybe something else to go over the top to make it less or more warm? Hooded vest? Sleeveless shorty type with mini legs? And what options to get, if any?

On the thickness of the main suit, I feel like it comes down to three choices:

All 3mm
5mm body and 3mm arms and (?) legs
All 5mm

I'm wide open on the thickness for any additional piece(s).

I'm kind of an "I like quality but not gadgets for the sake of gadgets" sort of person, so... do I want any options on that full suit?

What about style and thickness for "accessory" pieces?

Thank you very much, and I hope I was not too wordy. But I figure it's hard enough to address such a subjective issue, and that more background info will help.

B.

Last edited:
I was certified in the keys last year the first week of january. I wore a 5 mil and for the most part was comftable and I am always cold(colder than most). so my advice is to go with the 5 mil better safe than sorry.good luck

You should be comfortable in a 5mm with a beanie, or a 7mm. How many dives a day are you going to be doing? How deep? All these play a factor in what to wear

Thanks Designer and Keith,

I realize that what I *should* have said is that I am hoping to come up with a combination that will not only allow me to dive in the Keys this winter, but will also be flexible to allow me to use it, say, in Belize in the summer. And also for snorkeling, which I still do. Maybe a range of 75º to 85º (surface) temps? (Not sure what that means for deeper water though.)

So that's what was driving my thoughts of (maybe) a 3mm base suit. But maybe since I am chilly, maybe a 5mm base suit would work for summer tropics diving too?

I've changed my thread title and added some info about the above.

Keith, since I'm a fairly new diver, I don't see myself going below, say, a range of from 25' to .... 50'? The last time I was in the Keys the bottom was at about 40'.

Thanks for helping me to flesh out my request.

B.

you're going to end up with a collection of suits before you're done.

FWIW, Pinnacle suits seem to be quite warm for their thickness, based on feedback from friends who won them. I don't.

Over time I've collected a Microprene skin, an ancient, well used 3/2, a new 5mm and a new 7mm.

I dive in temps ranging from the upper 80s down into the 50's. Some people get cold easier than others. Some suits keep you warmer than others. It's really a trial & error sort of thing to find what works for you.

Hi Wayward,

I know, it's so subjective. I was hoping that giving a bit of my "cold" history would help.

I realize I'll end up with a collection of suits; I would just like to get the *best* collection for me :)

So my main question is "What thickness of coverall suit will allow me to use it in summer in the tropics and not be *too* hot?"

And then what extra pieces should I order in order to make that suit work for Florida in winter (which will be colder, but not like up north). Vest? Vest with hood? Separate hood? Shortie? etc.

I just don't want the base coverall to be unusable for summer in warm water.

And then I don't know what (if any) options I should think about, like where to put the main zipper, whether to get a back pad, etc.

Thanks again,
B.

I have a Xcell Vortex 5/4/3. I use it in 80 deg. down to 55 deg. water. It is 5 mm in the upper body and 4 in the lower. the 3 mm is in the legs and arms. If I get warm in 80 deg. water I will crack in the neck open a little to allow water in to cool me. I hope this has helped.

summer in the tropics, I think anything over a 3mm would cook me.

winter in the keys, you may want a 5mm.

Watch for sales :wink:

scubatoys.com (will give you 10% off when you call in the order & tell them you're on scubaboard) and scuba.com are both good sites to find sales on.

We have a bunch oh Henderson suits. One thing about them is that once you know what size fits you, they're consistent.

So a L Hyperstretch fits me the same as a L Thermoprene. But the Thermoprene is a lot cheaper. The knee pads are crap, but I've been able to buy the suits for about $100 each. I have them in 3mm & 5mm. At that price you can get one of each & dive them.

This is her in a 5mm Hyperstretch, men's large, when she got certified:

joycecertified01.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom