Looking For Integrated Dive Computer Failure Video

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hojo in SC

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
As the title says; I saw a video where the divers integrated dive computer blew loose and had a rapid loss of air. Does anyone know where to find that video (I saw it on You Tube have not been able to locate it).

Thank you

I think if I remember correctly it should take around 12 minutes to empty a AL80 at 3,000 psi with a blown HP?

I think if I remember correctly it should take around 12 minutes to empty a AL80 at 3,000 psi with a blown HP?

Actually, 22 minutes...

I think that the OP may be thinking of a blown low pressure hose. A high pressure hose (i.e. the one that an air integrated dive computer would be on) has such a tiny orifice that even if you were to cut it, it would take a long time to drain the tank.

On the other hand, a blown low pressure hose will drain a full AL80 in seconds, depending on ambient pressure...

If I recall, and I really hate to mention names of the product, it would be on the HP hose and it appears o have a significant opening for air to penetrate the computer. What I would like to find out is how much air was in the tank at the time of the incident, it seems to me that the narrator indicated the diver had just 2 breaths of air before empty.

Actually, 22 minutes...

I think that the OP may be thinking of a blown low pressure hose. A high pressure hose (i.e. the one that an air integrated dive computer would be on) has such a tiny orifice that even if you were to cut it, it would take a long time to drain the tank.

On the other hand, a blown low pressure hose will drain a full AL80 in seconds, depending on ambient pressure...
Thanks! I couldn't remember if it was 12 or 22 so I picked the conservative number I think LP is 5-7 seconds

If I recall, and I really hate to mention names of the product, it would be on the HP hose and it appears o have a significant opening for air to penetrate the computer. What I would like to find out is how much air was in the tank at the time of the incident, it seems to me that the narrator indicated the diver had just 2 breaths of air before empty.

Brand doesn't matter. For open circuit scuba diving, DC is on an HP hose, second stage / wing / dry suit are on an LP hose.

Not really a question of "penetrating the computer", whatever happens to an HP hose past the first stage (even if cut completely), it would drain the tank very slowly. The only reason you have an HP hose is to measure tank pressure, not to deliver gas for breathing or some other purpose (wing / dry suit). So the orifice is tiny - just enough to transmit pressure for measurement.

Unless I'm missing something...

Here is a picture of a HP hose. You see the tiny hole? That’s the side for the first stage. This is why it won’t leak fast, even if you were to cut the hose. It is restrained on the stage side.

hp.spg.hose.png

This is a pic of the hose of my Suunto Cobra.
Moreover, all first stages has a small orifice from the tank inlet to the SPG outlet, so, also in the event of an HP o-ring cut the reg will allow a smal amount of air to flow to the HP port.
IMG_7029.JPG

I'm not trying to argue the point about the hoses having small orfices and can't left much air out, I was hoping someone might have had better luck at knowing where to find the video. I wanted to review it to see exactly why that diver had so little time (if I recall, they said about 2 breaths) before he was out of air, but fortunately was able to get to his buddy. Murphys Law must have taken place here and I'm hoping to have a better understanding on what happened.

I'm not trying to argue the point about the hoses having small orfices and can't left much air out, I was hoping someone might have had better luck at knowing where to find the video. I wanted to review it to see exactly why that diver had so little time (if I recall, they said about 2 breaths) before he was out of air, but fortunately was able to get to his buddy. Murphys Law must have taken place here and I'm hoping to have a better understanding on what happened.
You seem to be assuming that a random YouTube video is more factual than any number of actual tests on the rate at which a tank will empty.
You'll get two breaths even if you suddently close the tank valve, just because of the pressurized air in the hoses.
See Life Ending Seconds for some facts.
upload_2021-7-3_17-30-12.png

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom