LOOKING FOR Mr. BUCKETHEAD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bilsant

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
buckethead.jpeg

This is a 3 foot nurse shark we saw just north of Anglin's pier the other day at Lauderdale by the Sea. Obviously he's got this plastic ring (I think it might be a bucket top) stuck around him, which won't bode well for him health-wise. The fish hook trailing from his mouth won't help much either.

While we weren't really equipped for a rescue, I had the blunt end of a polespear through the ring while my buddy was looking for a grip, when Mr. Buckethead twisted free and took off in a big hurry . Valuing fingers and other parts, we didn't grab as he left. He was seen an hour later by snorkelers just south of the pier.

I'm NOT recommending you try anything as goofy as we are doing (please don't get bit and sue me...I'm poor), but we're better equipped now with ticklestick bent into a hook shape and a rope for tail looping, and hoping to encounter him again.

For those who wish to tell me that letting nature take it's course is the smart play here, I know. But nature didn't make the plastic ring and anyone who knows me can tell you that the smart play is the path I choose with distressing rarity.

If you come across Mr. Buckethead, please PM me where you ran into him and what kind of shape he's in.

Thank you

If you find him again, might I suggest using something like EMT shears to cut the ring, rather than trying to pull/pry it off?

Good job for trying to help! :thumb:

25 hours later...
Bump.

Chug
Wants to help.

Looked for him this evening off Anglins Pier....our group found a couple of other nurse sharks, two hawksbill turtles and a Goliath (never heard of one at LBTS before)....but no Buckethead. Gonna try again Saturday.

Thanks, Chug.

If you find him again, might I suggest using something like EMT shears to cut the ring, rather than trying to pull/pry it off?

Good job for trying to help! :thumb:

Sage advice IMO.

Of course we'll try whatever is most gentle, but this is a healthy nurse shark who is going to object to the whole process.

Getting it off of him without harming him or garnering stitches for us is most important, a and all techniques will merit consideration.

Haven't seen him in the last 4 dives, and nobody's reporting him on this or the other board. I'm guessing he either got caught at the pier, or has shuffled off to deeper waters. My dearest hope is that he somehow disengaged himself.

Last edited:
Hope you (or someone) finds him soon. Poor critter.

Bump.

Well he wasn't at Anglin's reef in 60' or the Oakland ledges in 25' yesterday.

Chug
No LION FISH kills to report either.
YAY!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom