Looking for new BCD for low weight diver.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Under_da_sea

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I haven't bought a new BC in forever i love the Hydros and the atomic Bc1 but i dont see the benefit to spending 1000+ on a BCD. I am a very light weighted diver in fresh water i have to dive with no weights and ill still sink like a rock. In salt with a shorter 3 LBS is more than enough and in salt with a 5mm 6 lbs is it. I don't care about having a travel BC i want to move to Back inflat. i im looking at a few zeagles (scout stiletto and ranger) I'm also looking at the Aqua i3. Hollis lts. whats the best recommendation? I almost bought a ranger but its lift is around 50LBS i think that overkill. Ive looked at all the top lists for BCD's they are all over. If i go back plate and wing i would go Mares XR so wing and back plate im good on. Im looking for a back inflate or Hybrid.

Best is personal.... A cut-out plate, such as the Mares XR, would be a good option. Minimal built-in ballast, lots of flexibility in configuration, and really good options on where to put any lead that you do use. Such as on the plate anywhere along its length, on the hip belt, with added tank pockets, or a separate weight belt. Wherever you need it for trim.

I do not know much about non-BP/W options.

ETA: By density, an aluminum plate would be the best. Its density is rather low so it is not very negative in the water. For most folks, a cut-out steel plate gives strength and still contributes most of its land weight as underwater ballast. That benefit is not what you want though. But the difference between an aluminum plate and a cut-out steel one in terms of ballast is fairly small.

An aluminum BP with a smallish wing?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom