Looking for new fins - wetsuit diving (5mm), primarily frog kick, prefer Mares bungie strap

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mscmicrobiology

Registered
Reaction score
I have been diving most recently with Mares X-streams (~150 dives with these). I find them overall very good for flutter kick but just alright for frog kicking. They are also starting to show signs they will be buckling/breaking just past the hinge point. I also find them a bit on the buoyant side (my feet feet particularly light). That said, I have some Mares bungie straps on them .... can't rave enough about them, far superior to metal spring straps IMO and best straps I have ever tried. I tried some Mares Volo Power fins previously but hated them, too flimsy/not firm enough/no bite, and they shredded at the material transition points after <25 dives. They were also horrible for me for anything besides straight flutter kicking.

I am looking for something to replace my X-streams with. Priorities are durable, traditional paddle/technical (ie. non-hinged/split/freedive), well suited for frog kicking/helicopter/back finning with only minimal flutter kicking, preferably neutrally buoyant (typically tropical/temperate salt water with 5mm full semi-dry suit/boots - ya I am a cold wimp!). Lesser priorities are preference for Mares bungie straps, black fin color.

I had been checking out the Mares Avanti Quattro Plus fins, they seem to check all my boxes, but after using the X-streams and seeing how plastic/thermoplastic/rubber combinations can develop weak spots, I am a bit hesitant. My LDS doesn't seem to be a fan either, though they are definately biased toward North Atlantic Drysuit Technical diving here.

I had also looked into the Mares Power Plana fins, they also seem to check most of the boxes, but I am concerned they may be too heavy for wetsuit diving the tropics. I will not be diving doubles, drysuit, or cold water. I find my style of diving is recreational with tech flare (including techniques for tight penetrations, shallow caves, swim-throughs, chimneys) and these shorter-firmer fins seem well suited otherwise.

I would really welcome some of your input and first-hand information.

Check out the threads on the Deep 6 fins, those will probably my next fin purchase. Another contender or contenders would be OMS Slipstreams and the Dive Right fins.

I also found my legs when using X-Streams a little floaty even wearing just board shorts in warmer waters so I switched my tall booties to a shorter model which helped. Everyone I know who use Mares Avanti Quattro Plus fins say they love them.

Don't have any experience with the Deep 6 Eddys myself but they're definitely on my list because of near neutral buoyancy. If you're finding your Xstreams a little buoyant with a 5mm semidry on, maybe you want a more negative fin? If that's the case then I can highly recommend the Hollis F1. Great power with flutter kicking but have that stiff sidewall that's great for frog and helicopter kicks and even do well at backfinning. I dive them myself and although yes they are a bit heavy @ roughly 3 lbs negative, they do everything I need them to do and I've been extremely happy with them over the last two years since I got them. The Scubapro Jet fins are another great choice for the types of finning you're describing and used by lots of tech divers. I think they're a little less negative than the Hollis F1's and the blade seems to be a bit shorter, which is better for maneuvering in tight spots like caves, tunnels, etc. But I'm sure the shorter blade also sacrifices a bit of power compared to the F1's. I could be wrong, though, as I've never dove the Jets. I have friends that have them, though, so maybe I need to try them out and see so I can give a better opinion. Anyway....that's waht I've got for ya'. Hope it helps!

Priorities are durable, traditional paddle/technical (ie. non-hinged/split/freedive), well suited for frog kicking/helicopter/back finning with only minimal flutter kicking, preferably neutrally buoyant (typically tropical/temperate salt water with 5mm full semi-dry suit/boots - ya I am a cold wimp!). Lesser priorities are preference for Mares bungie straps, black fin color.

I use Cressi Reaction fins they work great for flutter, helicopter, and frog kicking and I can fin in reverse with them sans problems.

I have had my Cressi Reactions for over 4 years now and they are still going strong with frequent use and very little signs of wear. I recently replaced the adjustable heel strap with the elastomer/bungee strap and am wondering why I didn't do that a few years ago.

I find them to be rather neutral...my feet don't feel like they are floating or sinking with them and I use them comfortably with both my wetsuit (5-6mm booties) and drysuit (aqualung fusion boots) without issues.

I wear a US size 10 running shoe and have the L/XL fins.

Here is a link to a pair of black ones:
Cressi Reaction EBS Scuba Diving Open Heel Adjustable Fins with EBS Bungee Strap | eBay

-Z

I ended up trying out some Mares Power Planas. Love the fins, them being negative is actually a plus. Only thing I am running into is the fit. I am primarily using 6.5mm Waterproof B1 boot (size 11 mens shoe). I find that the tech style fins are really difficult to get fitting properly. The size (R) fits laterally but I find the foot pocket too shallow and my toes are getting cramped against the end. I find the size (XL) too loose laterally even though they fit better front-to-back. I wonder if I should just use the size (R) and put on a larget bungie strap or steel strap so my toes aren't quite as squished up.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom