Looking for Olympus PT-010 Housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dvleemin

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi,
I'm looking for the Olympus PT-010 housing. Anybody know where the cheapest place to get it is? So far Underwater Digital seems cheapest at $149.

Thanks,

Darryl

Originally posted by dvleemin
Hi,
I'm looking for the Olympus PT-010 housing. Anybody know where the cheapest place to get it is? So far Underwater Digital seems cheapest at $149.

Thanks,

Darryl

Correction...that price should be $249.!!!

As far as I know, Allen has the cheapest prices. I ordered my PT-010 from Japan Direct for $242 but by the time I got thru paying shopping from Japan, it was close to $300. I didn't know about Underwater Digital at the time. I bought my S&S YS-90 DX strobe and cable from him and saved about $50.

LOL,
I WISH it was $149. Must have been my subconcious working with that one :)

It still ticks me off that Olympus USA and Canada won't carry it though.

Darryl

Darryl:
I was fortunate enought to get one for about $150 from my brother who goes to Hong Kong often. Allen (Underwater Digital) is a great guy who has been very helpful to me, so when you buy from him you get his service as well as the product. I don't want to take any business away from him, but the housings do occasionally show up on Ebay brand new for $210 plus shipping. However, I just bought a strobe from Allen and paid a little more than the lowest price I found because I know he'll stand behind it and answer any questions I have. Hope that helps.

I´m considering getting a digital camera... and wanted to make sure that someday, when I am ready, I´ll be able to find an underwater housing for it. I´m looking at the lower end (2.0 megapixel) Olympus digitals...

achu

Achu, save up for the higher-end (more megapixel) digitals; you will be disappointed if you don't.

Yes, the lower end ones CAN give you some good results. But more often than not they make you realize that they are quite limited in comparision to their "bigger" cousins.

We had a lower MP camera. Did ONE set of dives with it in a brand new housing, saw it's potential AND it's limitations, and SOLD it the very same day! We then bought the Olympus C4040 and the PT 010 housing (etc.) and have been very happy with the results. (Except for the extra strobe issue, which we won't get into here, eh Dee? :wink: )

Just my opinion (for what it's worth)

~SubMariner~

Originally posted by achu
I´m considering getting a digital camera... and wanted to make sure that someday, when I am ready, I´ll be able to find an underwater housing for it. I´m looking at the lower end (2.0 megapixel) Olympus digitals...

achu

Underwater Digital

Submariner's right...wait ond get at least a 4 meg pixel camera. The 5 meg's are already hitting the market so the 4 meg's will be dropping in price real soon.

I'm curious if using the digital cameras assists in framing the shot since you can use the LCD screen in the back of the camera versus trying to peer through a tiny view finder.

And does the zoom feature's help as well?

Originally posted by TexasMike
I'm curious if using the digital cameras assists in framing the shot since you can use the LCD screen in the back of the camera versus trying to peer through a tiny view finder.

And does the zoom feature's help as well?

Yes Indeed! What you see on the LCD monitor is what you get. The viewfinder is just about useless. The only time I use it is to check the focusing lamp. On my Oly C-4040, when the shot is in focus, a green light glows steady. If not in focus, the green light blinks. Pretty handy. Especially since it's hard to see fine focusing on the monitor. The green light is no guarantee that the shot is in perfect focus, it's just the best the camera can do. You'll get a soft focus. For instance, the lens has an 8" distance limit...you HAVE to be 8 or more inches away from your subject in order to focus. The easiest way is to back off to at least 12" then zoom in to the macro shot. The hardest habit I'm having to break is getting close for macros. It's best to do the final scrutiny and/or critique on your larger PC monitor at home.

Composition is the same for macro...what you se is what you get.

Back
Top Bottom