Looking for opinions on 67mm flip adaptors

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

K

KeithG

I have used a reefnet flip adaptor for my subsea wet diopter on my S&S Dx1G camera.

I moved up to a Canon G16 and decided after about 1/2 a dive that the screw in solution was way too slow and awkward. Especially after using a flip adaptor.

So I am looking for opinions and real life use feedback on various products. I currently house my G16 in an el-cheapo Meikon housing. I went for a low cost housing as the first thing I did was drill a big hole in it for a bulkhead wired strobe connector. I may upgrade the housing in the future. Or not. The housing works and has enough internal clearance to hold the bulkhead connector and some planned extra electronics.

I am only interested in a single flip. My reefnet is a double but I find I only used the +10 diopter.

A fairly quick search has found the following potential products: (ignore the actual suppliers in the following links as that decision will come later)

These are generic solutions that attach to the 67MM thread on the housing.
Saga Dive is a "swing away" (like my reefnet) - seems to be the top end Saga Dive Flip Lens Holder 67mm [sag.slha.frm.67 ] - $235.00 : Reef Photo & Video!, The Underwater Photo Pros
I-DAS is a "rotate away" - seems to be mid tier https://www.opticaloceansales.com/i-das-flip-diopter-holder.html

This mounts on the base and does not depend upon the housing port having a 67mm thread (which the Meikon has)
Deeproof is a rotate away Deeproof M67 Mount Base MKG15/16 for Meikon G15 / G16 Housings- Deeproof 67mm threaded mount base for Meikon G15 and G16 hou

There are also a handful of "housing specific" thread on flip adaptors that I am ignoring since maybe they only work on specific housings?

Any feedback on these specific products?
Any bias between the swing-away versus rotate away design? I have used swing away and like it.

My initial impression is the I-DAS is the best value / flexibility. The Deeproof gets a -1 since it seems to be housing specific and limits future housing upgrade (but maybe it will be better since it may place the lens closer to the port?). The Saga seems to be a Ferrari.

Any feedback on other products?

On my old Canon S100 I previously used an Inon rotate-away dual flip diopter with bayonet mount, and that was ok. For the past year I have been using the Nauticam Flip diopter holder (Nauticam Flip Diopter Holder for M67 Macro Lens) on my Canon mirrorless with the SMC, and I have to say it is excellent. Very rugged and reliable, very convenient to use. It apparently will mount on any port with 67 mm threads, and can hold either the Nauticam SMC or CMC, and I would assume any other diopter with 67 mm threads.

Some of the adaptor place the wet lens further away from the housing port. Is this an issue to be worried about?

We wouldn't recommend the IDAS for a very heavy diopter like the Reefnet +10, but a +5 is ok.

i have the I-Das 67mm flip adapter - bought it for because it's the cheapest compared to other options (though it still seems expensive for what it is and what it does)

• not housing specific, will work with any 67mm threaded port
  • before using, you screw it in snug to the housing then adjust the position of the rotating part be removing the two allen screws and repositioning it to your desired position. You then reattach it by screwing back the allen crews on two of the many holes surrounding the part that screws to the housing
  • works well underwater, i use it with a subsee +10 with some thin generic diopters stacked on it. it is a big convenience vs screwing the diopter on and off which is what i used to do before.
  • feels flimsy topside with a subsee +10 attached, so i'm a bit careful when flipping the subsee +10 out of the way when using the camera topside
  • i sometimes have some difficulty when screwing on the diopter into it, the screw threads for some reason doesn't always align properly. while it is a minor annoyance, and it does go in after a few tries - i do worry that i might strip the threads of the adapter (or worse the threads on the diopter) at some time. this may be just an issue with the one i got though.
  • because the diopter is only held in position by gravity with no locking mechanism to hold it in place. using the camera at odd angles sometimes causes the diopter to rotate out of position, which means you'll have to hold it in place with your other hand, an occasional inconvenience.
  • when flipped out of the way, the diopter (subsee +10, which is a bit long) sometimes shows up on the photos when the camera (LX7, ikelite housing) is set to its widest setting. im not sure if i just hadn't flipped the diopter out of the way properly, but i do remember having some photos with part of the diopter in the frame

HTH

We wouldn't recommend the IDAS for a very heavy diopter like the Reefnet +10, but a +5 is ok.
this prompted me to take another look at the I-DAS and I noticed the picture showing the adaptor from the back. it appears that the I-DAS will not fit the meikon port. the flipup mount piece is attached to the back of the screw in ring and may (will) not clear the corners of the port.

I have used a bunch of these adapters for a variety of lenses ranging from the SubSee to the SMC, to the Dyron to the CMC. The adapter that I now use almost exclusively for 67 mm threads is the Nauticam adapter. I am using it now on a Subal port (67 mm thread) but there are some 67 mm ports for which it won't work if there is a significant lip on the port. The Nauticam is a two piece adapter, one piece holds the lens and the other is a ring that screws into the port. For ports that don't take the Nauticam, I have used the Saga adapter. I have several of the Reefnet adapters but almost all of them have weak spots and several have broken (some multiple times) since they are 3-D printed. I have not tried the IDAS version but I like flip rather than rotate. Alternatively you could get a good machinist (Bill Libecap perhaps) to make you your own custom one but it might be nearly as expensive as the SAGA.

Cheers
Bill

thanks for the Nauticam info Bill.

i found some pictures online that demonstrated how to mount it and 1 picture clearly shows the hinge and the lock protrude back past the back face of the ring. This may be an issue for my housing.

this might be another alternative: F.I.T. 67mm Magnetic Lens Adapter

i haven't actually used it but was initially considering this vs the i-das flip adapter. it doesn't seem to have anything protruding at the back that might interfere with your housing's port (the video on the bottom of the page even appears to be using a meikon housing)

I used to have the Saga with Subsee +10, and it's really good.

I have the Nauticam now with my SMC1, and it's also really good.

I kinda like the Saga a little better since you don't have to unclip it like the Nauticam, but really both are good to go.

Back
Top Bottom