• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Looking for opinions on drysuits

Discussion in 'Exposure Suits' started by natedawg4081, Nov 23, 2013.

1. jhupka

jhupka Solo Diver

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    1) I suppose you can say my aunt and uncle are similar too, both being human
    2)Glad the research was properly done because you have your choice of si-tech or apeks valves and pretty much flip a coin
    3) Santi dry suit new plastic zipper test - YouTube last time I saw somebody do that to a brass zipper…..well lets just say it didn't' seal again unlike the tizip
    4) fitting is subjective thats why they do full MTM to fit the odd ball Americans that eat to much or lift to many weights.
    5) being from the US did you try calling OceanEdge Outfitters, LLC (908) 359-5468 and speaking to them directly? Or look at the size chart? SANTI Size Chart To just say Santi sells stock size, well thats not true DRYSUITS right side is all MTM pricing (not much more than stock) and it is personally tailored to YOUR measurements not just piece meal like ok lets use a large bottom and xl top piece like some manufactures do.

Three issues with neoprene suits; HEAVY weight, long drying time, and its got built in insulation (can't take it to warm water) that also compresses the deeper you go.

2. CAPTAIN SINBAD

CAPTAIN SINBAD Divemaster Candidate

Of course! We have all seen the Santi rep stomping on the zipper and then holding it up to show that there is something SUPER SPECIAL about it. The zipper took that ruthless stomping and still worked! I just made this video of me stomping the zipper of my 25 dollar Walmart jacket. Here ... watch me stomp my wall mart zipper:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAzY1tSmmeg

Since this demo has caused Santi to sell a drysuit at 3000 USD, I am officially announcing on scubaboard that my jacket is also available for sale at 3000 USD. Since it is the holiday season I am feeling generous, I will let all your Santi fans buy this at a reduced cost of 1200 USD.

In my next video you will see me stomping the zipper of my K-mart jeans the same way and those jeans will be also be available on scubaboard for 1000 USD. Anyone interested in purchasing my "gently used" and proudly stomped clothing, please send me a pm. I have a lot of top-side gear which I would like to sell. :D

Last edited: Nov 27, 2013
  3. Douglas Ward

Douglas Ward Rebreather Pilot

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    Waterproof Hybrid D1!!

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

4. Dive-aholic

Dive-aholic Dive Shop

# of Dives:
    32 waist, 44 chest, 6' tall. Found an off the rack suit that fits me perfectly.

20130124_220003-1-1.jpg

As for the TiZips, I had a TiZip put onto one of my old suits. The suit became a backup so was only in the water maybe a dozen times. The rest of the time it was in my house, which is a climate controlled smoke free environment. Last time I pulled it out I saw the zipper had started to delaminate. I wasn't too impressed with that. I'll post pics later.

Attached Files:

CAPTAIN SINBAD likes this.
  5. CAPTAIN SINBAD

CAPTAIN SINBAD Divemaster Candidate

The suit that I dive presently is a custom made Dragonhide 3mm. This suit used to be called Delux 3mm NEO as it was made by a company called Delux. I believe Dragonhide is their American version of the same suit and comes with American valves.

6. herr2720

herr2720 Solo Diver

I think a lot of people are giving you advice based on preference and brand loyalty. Take your location into account, the land locked northwest, IE lakes and rivers. Also sales/service center location and how comfortable you are doing small repairs on your own suit. How frequently will you be diving? Will you get the cost benefit out of a higher end suit? Things to consider.

I dive a 2nd hand Whites, it was cheap, it fits me comfortably, and as long as I care for it outside of the water I have no doubts that it will last a long time. I dive in lakes so I don't have a lot of worry about current or surf rolling me into things that might damage my suit. I don't dive the rivers so I don't worry about current pushing me along sharp rocks. Would I love a Santi? Hell yes, but it just doesn't make sense, I'd rather keep my cheap Whites and spend the difference on something like a nice scooter.

Also, speaking of BMWs.....I'd take my Subaru any day over a BMW in the Pacific NW, it spends less days in the shop, does better in the snow/ice and gets me to the rural dive locations every time.

7. spc751

spc751 DIR Practitioner

This video is to show us that your clothing is still waterproof? If it was waterproof why did you buy a drysuit?

jhupka likes this.