Looking for place/sharing in St. Croix or Caymans early/mid June or anywhere

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hanglide

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Looking for place with good shore diving. Prefer fallling into water off sand entrance but iron shore/driving ok too.

Couple in 50's, both 125 dives + Easy going.... looking for place for ourselves or to share with the right ppl.

I've never been to St. Croix. Bonaire or Curacao are the best spots for shore diving in the Caribbean, by far, followed by Grand Cayman. If you are truly looking for a shore diving vacation and want to be mindful of cost, Bonaire is where you want to go. If you decide to go there, you will be bombarded by this forum with options of where to stay. If it were my first time going, I would probably opt for a dive and drive package from any of the following: Buddy Dive, Captain Don's, Sand Dollar or my favorite, Den Laman Condominiums.

I've never been to St. Croix. Bonaire or Curacao are the best spots for shore diving in the Caribbean, by far, followed by Grand Cayman. If you are truly looking for a shore diving vacation and want to be mindful of cost, Bonaire is where you want to go. If you decide to go there, you will be bombarded by this forum with options of where to stay. If it were my first time going, I would probably opt for a dive and drive package from any of the following: Buddy Dive, Captain Don's, Sand Dollar or my favorite, Den Laman Condominiums.

We have stayed at Sand Dollar at the Blue Zone VRBO.com #610527 - Blue Zone @ Sand Dollar - Oceanfront Luxury Suite in Diving Resort We highly recommend it also did a week in Curacao which we also loved. Both were great but we actually liked the shore diving in Curacao a little more. Absolutely fell in love with Watamula and we did it a couple of times (though it's a boat dive). Just looking for someplace we hadn't done yet.

St. Croix has shore diving. The island is low key and not very touristy. There are plenty of VRBO rentals of all types and prices. Check out N2the Blue and Sweet Bottom web sites.

Thx.. Love the NIC. "I had the right to remain silent"..

So, you want shore diving aside from Bonaire & Curacao, both of which you've already done, presumably Caribbean. Well, Grand Cayman, Roatan's CocoView Resort and St. Croix are the 2 options that leap to mind.

There are enough threads on Cayman diving, I imagine you can do a forum search and read up on shore sites; I recall hearing of Cobalt Coast's house reef, Lighthouse Point, Turtle Reef, Sunset House's house reef and despite some major damage from a ship basically crashing into the area, Eden Rock/Devil's Grotto. So there are sites to hit.

Likewise, CocoView Resort on Roatan has a large following and you can read plenty about that. When reading about Roatan, note one knowledgeable forum member has explained in some threads how the diving differs markedly depending on which coast you dive off of. And shore diving isn't readily accessible to all locations, hence my specifying CocoView Resort.

St. Croix has what I take to be a smaller but loyal following. I've collected a pretty good pile of research notes in preparation for a trip I hope to make later this summer; shoot me a 'Conversation' and I can send you a rough draft if you have a strong interest ( don't want to post an incomplete draft when I hope to dive the place personally this year). A lot depends on what part of St. Croix you want to stay at.

Cruise ships stop at Frederiksted Pier, a very popular dive site you can't dive with a cruise ship in, but it's not a real busy cruise stop. California Diver Magazine just posted an extensive article on this site. St. Croix's west coast is leeward and features calm conditions much of the time. But you're not looking at a bunch of shore diving sites.

If you stay at the 'busy' (still small) city of Christiansted, you might consider St. Croix Ultimate Blue Water Adventure, located by Hotel Caravelle, but Christiansted itself is not a shore dive site.

Cane Bay Dive Shop has some affiliated cottages, or you could stay at nearby Arawak Inn; I've read the swim out for shore diving at Cane Bay can be substantial; in another thread forum member dfx wrote:

Shore diving is very limited in St Croix. We did a shore dive at Cane Bay, but the swim out was very long so we didn't do that a second time.

From what I've read a number of people like shore diving there, but be aware of the swim out.

Not far away is Davis Bay; you might check out the offerings by Sweet Bottom Dive Center, located at the St. Croix Renaissance Carambola Beach Resort & Spa. I can't give you exact comparisons on swim out, but I've inferred (correctly, I hope!) it's shorter than Cane Bay?

Anyone who's done both care to comment?

Richard.

Note: I love shore diving, but I'd be hesitant to pick any of those 3 destinations for only shore diving. I think you'll going to miss out on some good diving if you don't hit a boat at least some.

Oh, one thing I didn't mention; St. Croix isn't tiny, but it's not huge, and staying at one location doesn't mean you can't drive (on the left side of the road) to others. Moon Travel Guides has this page with a printable map of St. Croix that I like; it's quite detailed, but 'clean' looking and has the right amount of detail without being overwhelming. Easy to see where things are relative to each other.

Richard.

Oh, one thing I didn't mention; St. Croix isn't tiny, but it's not huge, and staying at one location doesn't mean you can't drive (on the left side of the road) to others. Moon Travel Guides has this page with a printable map of St. Croix that I like; it's quite detailed, but 'clean' looking and has the right amount of detail without being overwhelming. Easy to see where things are relative to each other. Richard.

St. Croix is pretty large but the roads are good and fairly easy to navigate. It is a US territory but you drive on the left because it has Danish history.

...St. Croix has what I take to be a smaller but loyal following. I've collected a pretty good pile of research notes in preparation for a trip I hope to make later this summer...

Richard, since you are planning a trip to St. Croix I wanted to share the link to one of my favorite, live-streaming Caribbean web cams. It's for the Christiansted Harbor in St. Croix and it helps me to dream about beautiful, warm weather on a cold Midwestern day like today!

Official Page for Live St. Croix Web Cam in Christiansted

Thanks. Pretty water! Hope to be blessed with a good trip. St. Croix reads like a pretty good variety destination with an 'all things in moderation' kind of feel.

Richard.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom