Looking for Practice Pool in Maryland

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rob.mwpropane

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
Hey guys, I've been calling a few places to see about finding a pool to practice with some new gear and I'm coming up short.

Anybody know of one in northern MD that lets people dive? I've called a few gyms and they all say absolutely not.

Thanks. If this needs to be moved somewhere then so be it...

Have you tried going thru a local dive shop?

Have you tried going thru a local dive shop?

I have to an extent. There's 2 shops, but I'm not really in love with either and I think the feeling is somewhat mutual.

Truth be told I bought a drysuit, I'd like to give it a go without taking the class yet. Safest bet would be in a pool...neither LDS in my area would be all that crazy about me trying out a ds that I didn't buy through them and that I don't have a piece of plastic stating that I can put it on. Just being honest. I know there's a ton of people that'll say I should take a class, and I might end up there anyway, but I'm still bent on giving it a hot in a pool by myself. That'll be where I end up after the class anyway.

I have to an extent. There's 2 shops, but I'm not really in love with either and I think the feeling is somewhat mutual.

Truth be told I bought a drysuit, I'd like to give it a go without taking the class yet. Safest bet would be in a pool...neither LDS in my area would be all that crazy about me trying out a ds that I didn't buy through them and that I don't have a piece of plastic stating that I can put it on. Just being honest. I know there's a ton of people that'll say I should take a class, and I might end up there anyway, but I'm still bent on giving it a hot in a pool by myself. That'll be where I end up after the class anyway.
If you can't take a class, at least try and take a mentor to the pool, one who knows how you should balance out buoyancy in suit vs in BC, and how to get out of a feet-first ascent. it is not fun hanging upside down from the surface and not knowing how to get right-side up.

A DS class starts with a pool session. Maybe you can just buy the pool session and say you'll think about the OW followup (and card) afterwards.

If you can't take a class, at least try and take a mentor to the pool, one who knows how you should balance out buoyancy in suit vs in BC, and how to get out of a feet-first ascent. it is not fun hanging upside down from the surface and not knowing how to get right-side up.

A DS class starts with a pool session. Maybe you can just buy the pool session and say you'll think about the OW followup (and card) afterwards.

That might be where I end up. I'm not opposed to taking the class, I think the next time they had any pool sessions was in the middle of January. Impatient me just wants to go diving now....

That might be where I end up. I'm not opposed to taking the class, I think the next time they had any pool sessions was in the middle of January. Impatient me just wants to go diving now....
Where approx are you located?

Where approx are you located?

Is it not on my profile (don't take that ignorant, I'm honestly curious. I can't figure how to get it to show.)?

I'm located in Fallston MD, which is in Harford County.

Actually, it IS on your profile, which I didn't look at because most seem to not put their location...sorry.
I've got no special suggestions for shops nearby that use pools. I guess you could say the suit was a gift...

I am not sure how far you are willing to drive, but there is a shop in Rockville called Submerged and the owner, Tanya, is one of the nicest and coolest people I have ever met in this industry. To make a long story short, when I was looking to buy all my own gear, she let me try out a Hydros Pro and BP/W at a pool session for free since she sells SP stuff. In the end, I ended up buying a full BP/W setup and regs but not through her, and just piecing it out myself online and stuff, saving probably $1k had I bought all SP stuff from her. The pool session with her gear is the reason I ended up with a BP/W.

And after all that, I went back to her and let her know that I got stuff outside simply for $$$ purposes, and that I'd pay her for the pool session (its usually $30 to get in the water, let alone using her gear) and she was super happy I had gotten my own gear that I wanted and told me not to worry about it. And at that time, I used her to shop to get hydros done on my tank, and then took it to a pool session with her right in Rockville.

So my point is, she doesn't care about where you get your gear and you can go in the pool with your own stuff. She is super friendly and cool too. There wasn't too much space in the pool the second time I went because of other people using it, but it's good enough to test out stuff.

Here is the website if you are interested:

Submerged

Fallston says it's 60 miles from me, so without traffic and all highways, it's probably an hour or more maybe. That is about how far I drove to a pool session down in Woodbridge, VA at one time in the summer to try out gear, and it's really not that long in the car to try out new gear.

Good luck!

Actually, it IS on your profile, which I didn't look at because most seem to not put their location...sorry.
I've got no special suggestions for shops nearby that use pools. I guess you could say the suit was a gift...

I really hope my comment didn't come off ignorant...I just don't see my location when I look at my avatar so was curious.

Thanks, gift idea is good.

I am not sure how far you are willing to drive, but there is a shop in Rockville called Submerged and the owner, Tanya, is one of the nicest and coolest people I have ever met in this industry. To make a long story short, when I was looking to buy all my own gear, she let me try out a Hydros Pro and BP/W at a pool session for free since she sells SP stuff. In the end, I ended up buying a full BP/W setup and regs but not through her, and just piecing it out myself online and stuff, saving probably $1k had I bought all SP stuff from her. The pool session with her gear is the reason I ended up with a BP/W.

And after all that, I went back to her and let her know that I got stuff outside simply for $$$ purposes, and that I'd pay her for the pool session (its usually $30 to get in the water, let alone using her gear) and she was super happy I had gotten my own gear that I wanted and told me not to worry about it. And at that time, I used her to shop to get hydros done on my tank, and then took it to a pool session with her right in Rockville.

So my point is, she doesn't care about where you get your gear and you can go in the pool with your own stuff. She is super friendly and cool too. There wasn't too much space in the pool the second time I went because of other people using it, but it's good enough to test out stuff.

Here is the website if you are interested:

Submerged

Fallston says it's 60 miles from me, so without traffic and all highways, it's probably an hour or more maybe. That is about how far I drove to a pool session down in Woodbridge, VA at one time in the summer to try out gear, and it's really not that long in the car to try out new gear.

Good luck!

That's awesome. I've gotten a few recommendations of them. I'll have to give them a shout.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom