Looking for Puerto Rico dive recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RyanNM

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
We're going to PR for the first time and looking at Culebra, or perhaps Vieques, for the laid back atmosphere. Is there good diving on Culebra? I'm not finding much info on it.
We're thinking of September some time, for about a week. We'll also spend a couple nights on the big island of PR. I've read La Parguera is good diving.
Any and all ideas and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you!

Sorry I haven't posted in a bit. I have dove out of La Parguera for the past 10 years or so between Christmas and New Years, mostly with West Divers. They can be a bit hard to get a hold of as their web site is a bit weird. The diving has been fantastic. Fajardo on the east coast has hit or miss visibility but Seaventures is a fantastic shop. I can give you more tips if you are interested. Here's my last review of La Parguera.

Trip Report/La Parguera, Puerto Rico/December 27-30, 2014

We dove out on the south side (Guanica) and liked the diving. It's not touristy so if you are also looking for that this isn't for you. We dove w/ Island Scuba.

Dave

We dove out on the south side (Guanica) and liked the diving. It's not touristy so if you are also looking for that this isn't for you. We dove w/ Island Scuba.

Dave
That sounds appealing. Did you stay close by? What airport would be closest? Thanks!

Still flew into San Juan, it's not a huge island. You can easily drive to any part of the island in an afternoon. We rented a room in an apartment for next to nothing which was walking distance to Island scuba.

Dave

Still flew into San Juan, it's not a huge island. You can easily drive to any part of the island in an afternoon. We rented a room in an apartment for next to nothing which was walking distance to Island scuba.

Dave
What town is near Guanica? I can't find it on the map. What town did you rent in? Thank you

No problem, happy to answer any other questions you have. If you rent a car, make sure to use a well known company. I did not and my "guaranteed" price including all fees/taxes increased almost $130 when all was said and done.

We dove with Island Scuba a little over a year ago, and stayed in a multiple unit complex in Playa Santa (right down the road from Guanica). While it was very convenient to the dive shop (about a five minute walk), Playa Santa itself leaves a lot to be desired for variety of eating establishments and after hours entertainment. The wall diving was fantastic and we plan to got back and dive with Island Scuba again, but we'll research places to stay in Guanica, as it seems to offer more in terms of dining options.

Back
Top Bottom