Looking for regulator/hose/octo advice for my first regulator setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

With the 4' primary hose and a necklace setup, how exactly is the 4' hose routed? It's just under your right arm as the octo would be when you take your OW course? There isn't a lot of extra hose just flinging around out there?

I am thinking maybe I get a 4' primary hose, then a 2' hose, and with the "normal" hose that comes with my regulators, I could try out both setups.

I'm also planning on getting the same Atomic Z2 second stage for my octo regulator.
Good for you. Both second stages should be the same. Don't buy a crap one for your buddy to use. They are sure to crap out just as you need it.

I am thinking maybe I get a 4' primary hose,
Unless you are exceptionally small, it won't route around your neck comfortably. 5 ft or 7 ft are the tried and true standards.

Unless you are exceptionally small, it won't route around your neck comfortably. 5 ft or 7 ft are the tried and true standards.
Well that's one thing I'm trying to figure out - what is the routing people use with the not-long hoses for primary, with a necklace setup? I've heard multiple people say they use 40' hoses for primary hose and also 4'.

And this is assuming single tank diving.

I've heard multiple people say they use 40' hoses for primary hose and also 4'.
I see them blowing in the wind, but I haven't seen them often. With a 5' or 7' hose, you route them down behind, and then under your right arm, to your left shoulder and then behind your neck to the right side and then continue around to your mouth. With a 7' hose, you tuck the excess in your BC belt by your right hip or under a light canister. With either the 5' or 7' hose, the second second is bungeed around your neck. You donate your first second, tip your head forward and letting the hose pull forward while putting your bungeed second in your mouth. Be sure to free the 7' hose from your waist when you do.

I see them blowing in the wind, but I haven't seen them often. With a 5' or 7' hose, you route them down behind, and then under your right arm, to your left shoulder and then behind your neck to the right side and then continue around to your mouth. With a 7' hose, you tuck the excess in your BC belt by your right hip or under a light canister. With either the 5' or 7' hose, the second second is bungeed around your neck. You donate your first second, tip your head forward and letting the hose pull forward while putting your bungeed second in your mouth. Be sure to free the 7' hose from your waist when you do.
Okay gotcha. Yeah I am not sure how much I would like that hose wrapping all around me like that. But I understand the reason to have the longer hose as a primary donate and keeping all of the excess hose streamlined while using it as a primary.

Yeah I am not sure how much I would like that hose wrapping all around me like that.
If/when you ever get your reg kicked out of your mouth you'll love it. Just reach to the back of your neck, grab the hose and there she is. So easy. So quick. FWIW, you should install a small SS bolt snap right by the long hose second stage. This is so you can clip it to your right chest D-ring if it's ever out of your mouth. On the boat, I clip both the bungee and the D-ring, so I know where both of my regs are and they aren't lying all over the place.

Okay gotcha. Yeah I am not sure how much I would like that hose wrapping all around me like that. .

The 7' hose feels invisible, with zero stress on the second stage...........imagine you're in a single-file swim-through and some hysterical person is mauling you for your 40" or 5' hose.

Yeah I guess it is something that I will just need to get a feel for if I go that route. It also sounds a bit odd to just think about but I am pretty sure I can picture it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom