Looking for Scenic Shore Discover Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks @Dogbowl, will check with Gilmer. On our Discover dive in Chankanaab years ago we went through the same kind of route where we weren't in any danger of hurting the coral.

We did discover scuba with Eduardo at Chankanaab. He is a kind soul that made us divers from the first moment. We were calm and comfortable and neutrally buoyant and almost in trim. It wasn't snuba but discover scuba with depths of 25' and we got about 42 minutes underwater. He will get you a discount on the entry as they all will. He is next door to Gilmer. He works at the dive shop for prodive at night and we go there to say hello to him every time we go to Cozumel. We didn't get to see him last trip as, sadly, he had lost his wife the day before we got there. He is a dear man.

We did discover scuba with Eduardo at Chankanaab. He is a kind soul that made us divers from the first moment. We were calm and comfortable and neutrally buoyant and almost in trim. It wasn't scuba but discover scuba with depths of 25' and we got about 42 minutes underwater. He will get you a discount on the entry as they all will. He is next door to Gilmer. He works at the dive shop for prodive at night and we go there to say hello to him every time we go to Cozumel. We didn't get to see him last trip as, sadly, he had lost his wife the day before we got there. He is a dear man.

My first ever dive was with Eduardo and agree with your statements. I would also add that his instruction style was excellent. Very thorough. Wouldn't matter if he was teaching you to dive or throw a frisbee, he was really, really good.

Oh, I don't think you can dive in the lagoon. You're actually diving in the ocean. Once upon a time, as I understand, you could snorkel in the lagoon but they don't allow that anymore.

My wife and daughter are thinking about doing a Discover Dive when we visit Cozumel later this month. My wife and I did a Discover dive in Chankanaab way back in 1997, and she is wanting a shore dive at least as scenic as that (my daughter has been very reluctant, so my wife thinks she needs some great scenery to get my daughter interested).
Unfortunately, Hurricane Wilma did a number on the shore diving (what there was of it) around Cozumel. I haven't dived Chankanaab myself since before the storm, so I don't know how much of what you saw is still there, or even if the two dive ops that were there still are.

That said, there is a pretty good shore dive site at Blue Angel, and there are instructors there. I have seen them training novice divers there, but I don't know if they do Discover dives.

EDIT: From another post in this thread it appears that the ops are still there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom