Looking for some advice - OM-D EM1

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mehernosh Captain

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Am using the Oly OM-D E-M1 with the PT-EP11 Housing ... What lens and port combo would work out most economical for wide angle... Everything I've seen only is crazy expensive

Cost is relative but I use with great success the 12-40mm F2.8 Pro with a PPO-E02 purchased on Ebay. This combination based upon a recommendation from someone on this board. The performance of the lens is very good and there is zero adverse effects from the port.

Note that a port adapter is required given the PPO-E02 is designed for the older threaded housing. While there is a second o-ring to deal with I haven't found this to be a problem or hassle. In short I leave the adapter assembled on the port for a week or more of diving.

This is my goto setup for most dives. Otherwise I have the 60mm macro with dedicated Olympus macro port or a 8mm fisheye in the Olympus dome. That said these latter two lenses are only used for dedicated dives where I'm going out specifically to capture suitable subjects.

Thanks..... Appreciate the advice... Will scout around for a port for the 12-40....

I used to use the E02 with my Olympus housing, but I switched over to this Inon dome:
INON Dome Port Olympus with Protector II Set for ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 8mm F3.5 Fisheye
...This dome was originally designed for the old e-volt system, so you still need the PAD-08 adapter like you would for the E02 flat port. You'll also need an Olympus 2" extension (or two 1" extensions). This combination will allow you to use the Olympus 12-40 and 7-14 Pro lenses and the Panasonic 8-18 lens. Remove the extension and the dome works with the Oly 8mm fisheye Pro lens. I'm very happy with this port because of the flexibility and relatively low cost (the comparable Olympus 170mm dome is pretty spendy). I believe there might be AOI domeports available for the OMD housings but I don't have any experience with them.

One other note about the E02 flat port- I used mine with a swing away diopter holder from Reef Wreck and Critter for better close up work with both the 12-40 and the 60mm macro. Wide performance at 12mm is ok, but can't compare to the dome.

The most economical is just to buy the Olympus 9-18 lens and use it in the existing housing and port. It fits andluckly the zoom gear from the kit lens fits the wide angle.

Is it perfect? No, but a good entry into wide angle. Yes, the pro lenses are better, yes 7mm and dome is better, but the costs are 4x higher the best combination.

The next upgrade from just the 9-18 is to buy a dome port, such as the Zen port -- it does need an extension.

The most economical is just to buy the Olympus 9-18 lens and use it in the existing housing and port. It fits andluckly the zoom gear from the kit lens fits the wide angle.

Is it perfect? No, but a good entry into wide angle. Yes, the pro lenses are better, yes 7mm and dome is better, but the costs are 4x higher the best combination.

The next upgrade from just the 9-18 is to buy a dome port, such as the Zen port -- it does need an extension.

Thank you... That's an interesting way to start.... Just need 1 piece of kit..

The 9-18 is right on the limit for field of view through a flat port and the corners are actually beyond that limit at 9mm (90° field of view horizontally): This link explains: Understanding Flat Port and Dome Port Theory | Oceanity

This is the port chart for Olympus housings: https://www.olympus.com.au/Olympus/media/!!-UPP/000019166.pdf

And this is the chart for Zen domes for this housing: http://www.jaredparsons.com/portchart/zen-only/by-combination-group/olympus-ptep0811/

You can see the PPO-EO2 is quite versatile and can be purchased new from B&H photo: Olympus PPO-EP02 Dome Port for Select M.ZUIKO V6310120U000 B&H

You will need extension rings depending on the lens considered, but if you purchase that dome there is a good range of lenses that will work in that dome, so you could start with the 9-18, 12-40 and later use the fisheye if you wanted.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom