Looking for somewhere new - large group trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wiggsy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm looking for some advice in the hope of finding somewhere new - the problem is that I take quite a large group every year diving and we have got used to being spoilt. The last few years we have rotated between Siladen Island Resort, North Sulawesi; Aiyanar Resort, Anilao and incredible Atmosphere Resort, Dumaguete in the Philippines. All great quality resorts. The group size last July at Atmosphere was 53 (although only 35 were SCUBA divers) so I am looking for quite a large resort that is quite upscale but able to cope with such a large group - I don't want to have to cut people out if I can avoid it. Unfortunately the size of the group does cut quite a few places out. Happy for a mixture of macro 'muck' dives and coral reef walls or slopes. After very warm water in July and have tended to favour Asian destinations over the South Pacific as we tend to get more service and a higher level of accommodation for the same price. Trip is ex Melbourne and not wanting somewhere too impossible to get to - can handle one stopover night but not two. Also after somewhere where dive sites are not too distant as we like to do two dives before lunch then hang out/snorkel or dive again mid afternoon. Happy for any suggestions.

Atlantis in Puerto Galera certainly can handle the size of the group but the non-divers could be an issue. Asia Divers(El Galleon) and La Laguna Beach Club & Dive Centre are suitable alternative.
Bali is a lot closer than PG. We(20+) went to Padang Bai and dived with Geko many yrs ago. They should be able to help on accommodation.
Good luck.

Keep us posted where you end up so some of us can avoid the resort you choose :D

Thanks Centrals. PG might be a good option, though I guess the diving would be much the same as Anilao and Aiyanar was a great option and offers the advantage of not needing a night in Manila. I've had a smaller group to Tulamben and that was very successful - might look into other options in Bali.

---------- Post added August 28th, 2015 at 04:45 PM ----------

---------- Post added August 28th, 2015 at 04:48 PM ----------

Keep us posted where you end up so some of us can avoid the resort you choose :D

Ha! I get it! You are soo funny...! You would hardly notice us - just a group of quiet Aussies diving a lot; taking photos and hangin out in the camera room comparing shots and identifying critters. We've been diving together for around 30 years and they are a really nice crew. But I'll be sure to let you know.

Diving in PG has more varieties than Anilao. And depending on your arrival time, you need not to spend a night in Manila or Batangas.
Atlantis is fully booked for a wk in June next yr by SB.

Exotic in Malapascua is quite big and they have several dive boats. The diving is certainly quite different from Anilao, from big wreck(Dona Marilyn) to big fish(thresher shark). Check it out.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom