Looking for spots to shore dive in Munising area

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rgraves61

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I was wondering if anybody knew any good spots to shore dive in the Munising, Mi area. I just got certified and am looking for places to dive. Thanks.

Right behind the High School there is a popular shore dive site. It is where the old docks were located. I haven't dove it as I was not certified the last time that I was there. I understand that it is an average depth of 15'.
Maybe someone else knows of some other sites.
Welcome to:sbcom:

I have not done any shore diving in Munising, there is a pontoon rental place there if you can't get on the charter and it is easy to find the wrecks. I did hear of the docks being a cool dive and another at the end of the old ferry road... it gets deep quick there... I heard you could do a 180ft shore dive there. I am going to get up there to try it for myself in September.

Let us know what you find out.

Rich

I suggest that you get Cris Kohls book, The Great Lakes Diving Guide. It lists several shore accessible spots for Marquette just down the road from Munising. For other spots in Munising, Kohl does not mention any shore spots, but you might talk to Peter Linquist over at the dive operation in Munising. He could tell you about shore accessible spots. Nothing like local knowledge to find just the right spot. I recall that he mentioned a spot near the high school during my visit to the area a few years ago, but I did not have a chance to dive on it.

The High School is a fun dive. Lots of interesting junk laying around. Pretty decent viz, max depth around fifteen feet. Just go down to the high School parking lot and you'll see a path that goes down the rocks. The "pier" is a group of pilings in a grid pattern that stick out of the water. You'll easily see it.
East of town, just past the power plant there is a road that follows the lake shore. Follow it north a couple miles and you find a little park with a swimming beach. That water is shallow for quite a ways, but drops off rather quickly. Makes for an interesting dive.
Farther east there is a park where you can go see a natural rock formation called "Miners Castle" or something like that. I understand there is a way to do a shore dive below it. There are some natural caverns in the area that I have done from a boat. Might be worth checking out.
The dive shop is a good source of info of course as mentioned before. The DNR maintains a Ranger station(tourist info center) just east of where the main drag splits. They have information and maps there too. Have fun.

Jim

Shore diving in Munising is a blast. Behind the high school is fun and so is off the boat ramps (just stay out of the way of the charters going out). If you go through town out by the Ferry Dock to the island, there's some really good diving there too. If you talk to the Ferry shop, they'll let you know the times that they don't mind having you around (and they'll let you park closer). This area has quite a drop off though.

Miner's castle is BEAUTIFUL. Go to Miners Beach and take the long walk down to the beach. (Remember you're going to have to haul your gear back up this - but it is worth it!!) Head out towards Miner's Castle and there are a ton of caverns along the way. If you actually go into the cove, there's a really nice spot to climb up on and take a rest. (We towed our kayak out with us and packed a lunch in it). One word of caution on Miners Castle. When the tour boats go out, they create quite a wake and it can get pretty rough in the cove. It is an incredible (and tiring) dive....

There's some nice shore diving in Marquette also if you are interested.

I would cruise up the road to Marquette and Dive Black Rocks and the Cove along with Lower harbor wall. All excellent dives especially black rocks!!! I have also dove Grand Island Landing, drops off fast to about 100' there is a Snowmobile at arou d 90'.

I was wondering if anybody knew any good spots to shore dive in the Munising, Mi area. I just got certified and am looking for places to dive. Thanks.

Next time I head up to Gwinn, I'll have to bring my gear and give ya'll a holler to see who can dive with me and show me the area.

Ken

Notso Ken - If you're heading to Gwinn and want to take a detour, there's some good diving in Menominee also. Nice LDS too!

Notso Ken - If you're heading to Gwinn and want to take a detour, there's some good diving in Menominee also. Nice LDS too!

Depending on the way I drive, it might not even be a detour. I've been know th drive to Chicago, thenm up to Green Bay, then on up to Gwinn. It's kinda like that old song by Da Yoopers - "On the road to Gwinn . . . didn't take the wrong way, just the long way . . ." :)

Ken

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom