Looking for suggestions on Sidemount AI pod setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not to get this off topic...new sidemount diver here...
Im guessing you have to remember to swtich your computer everytime you swap between your left and right tank...I dont believe there is a setting or a computer that records the data from both tank pods at the same time correct?

Not on the Shearwaters, you don’t. The Perdix will show both tank pressures at the same time.‘Teric, too. You only switch gas on computer when it comes to deco gas, for example.

Someone showed me a Teric screen with both tank pressures showing and it was tiny. Easier to see on the Perdix.

I dont believe there is a setting or a computer that records the data from both tank pods at the same time correct?
This is correct with Shearwaters, data (SAC GTR etc) comes from one or the other. We're still waiting on a SM mode.

I would be tempted to just life with it being a little off for a few dives until you knew you liked the pods. At which point ditch the SPG and go about life.

I did the pods on the rebreather to clear a couple of hoses out of my way and so I could data log. I have not had much to log so far this year.

I agree with those above,ditch the SPGs as there isn't a need for them.

I’m kind of surprised this is recommended so much. Is it because the failure rate on the SW pods is low enough not to be a legit concern? Or because you’re on two tanks and probably have a pretty good idea what your SAC rate is anyway?

I wish I read this a few weeks ago. I bought a yellow pod and two short hoses not thinking that the second HP port on my first stage would have either the SPG or AI pod lollipopping. I don’t like the pod mounted directly on the top either. I usually grip that area when carrying them in.

I guess I’ll daredevil it and trust my SW equipment.

I’m kind of surprised this is recommended so much. Is it because the failure rate on the SW pods is low enough not to be a legit concern? Or because you’re on two tanks and probably have a pretty good idea what your SAC rate is anyway?..............snip...................

Failure rate is extremely low, loss of comms is extremely low, and my SAC rate is pretty consistent. I just don't feel there is a plausible risk of losing AI, and having to end a dive. If it still does occur I don't think I'll have a single moment of anxiety getting back to the boat.

I’m kind of surprised this is recommended so much. Is it because the failure rate on the SW pods is low enough not to be a legit concern? Or because you’re on two tanks and probably have a pretty good idea what your SAC rate is anyway?

I wish I read this a few weeks ago. I bought a yellow pod and two short hoses not thinking that the second HP port on my first stage would have either the SPG or AI pod lollipopping. I don’t like the pod mounted directly on the top either. I usually grip that area when carrying them in.

I guess I’ll daredevil it and trust my SW equipment.

I have had zero issues with my SW transmitters. I have had issues with SPGs and the spools. The way I see it, if I have a failure, I am ending the dive and with the reliability I have experienced from SW pods, I am less likely to have to end a dive using them.

While obviously you should end a dive if the AI connection fails on one cylinder, you should be able to ballpark figure out how much gas is left by how much you tilt. NOTE: this not a reason to continue your dive. I am certainly not recommending that. But as you ascend, if you tilt towards one cylinder more than what you normally do with whatever difference you switch, do so.

While obviously you should end a dive if the AI connection fails on one cylinder, you should be able to ballpark figure out how much gas is left by how much you tilt. NOTE: this not a reason to continue your dive. I am certainly not recommending that. But as you ascend, if you tilt towards one cylinder more than what you normally do with whatever difference you switch, do so.

I don't think there is a need to ballpark how much gas is left. With consistent switches and a solid knowledge of your gas consumption, you should always be able to tell how much gas in left in each cylinder within 10 bar.

There was a recent discussion on a vblog called “A Dram of Diving”. I believe he posts them to YouTube and FB. Consensus from tech SM experts is the Shearwater pods are reliable enough to run alone and if there is a failure abort the dive and use your gas planning as backup to get you home.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom