http://www.diveheart.org/

Looking for Survey participants on Diver Travel Behavior for master thesis

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No worries, I can take it
C:\Users\Edward\AppData\Local\Temp\~tmw0\445c394e.tmp\img00001.PNG

I have a given scope in which I have to complete my survey and just limited time. I agree, there can always be done more. But in my context, this is what is possible for me.

And to be clear, my point is not necessarily that eco resorts are better. My interest is soley the experience with coral bleaching and how it affects your travel behavior. Unfortunatly a lot of diver "need to see a place, before it's gone" and don't realize they are part of the problem. Overall the Dive industry seems to be very sustainable (if you take into account, that a lot of people love the environment and want to protect it) BUT if you take a plane 5 times a year to get half around the globe for a few days of diving, you play a part in CO2 emissions which will kill the coral in the end.

There are enough studies on the environmental aspects of diving, I am looking at the touristic approach and the travel behavior.

The only impact I see is in training areas where student walk on the corals. I’ve worked on marine surveys where the financial backer (The Smithsonian Institute) has stated up front the conclusion must support Global Warming or the research scientists wouldn’t get further funding.

Well,I think there are many more impacts which harm the reef. Sunblock is proved to harm the corals. Dive OP use anchors... Maledives e.g. have the jettys build into the reefs. I have seen reefs in Belize completley empty of overfishing and feeding near the docks to entertain tourists. Lionfish is a huge problem in the carribean (though here its not completly known where from... if it was the Aquarium in New Orleans, or water tanks in cruise and cargo ships or both).
For me I want to find out what that knowledge changes? If it changes anything at all?

Done

Back
Top Bottom