Looking to buy a TI knife with at least a 6 inch blade

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Toby W

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm looking to purchase a TI blade with at least a 6 inch blade. Anyone have any ideas on a good one that won’t break the bank or is anyone trying to sell one? Thanks.

I don't know how big your bank is, but the only ti knife I'm familiar with that has a greater than 6" blade is the Mission Knives MPK12 which retails for $430

I have a 5" Hydralloy blunt tip made by Underwater Kinetics in black/yellow, they also make titanium versions in blunt and drop tip, but also still only 5"

A quick google search shows 4 and 5 inch titanium blade dive knives are available. Any reason in particular you want/need a 6 inch+ blade?

-Z

We offer a quality Titanium Knife, which is what most people would consider a "full size" knife.

The blade length is "only" 5 inches, however.

https://www.makospearguns.com/Titanium-Dive-Knife-p/mtdk.htm

MTDK-2T.jpg

Although some Titanium alloys have outstanding saltwater corrosion resistance, they tend to be softer (45-50 Rockwell) than decent 420 or better stainless blades. Very corrosion resistant stainless alloys like 316 are even worse. That relates to the cutting edge retention characteristics. Titanium will be much lighter than a stainless knife, especially with a 6" blade. However, that lack of mass makes it less effective for what large dive knives excel at, which is basically a hammer. Like most things in life, there are always trade-offs.

Sharpness may not matter since most dive knives are better suited for spreading butter than cutting line. It all depends on what you plan to do with the tool.

The shears are good, but note that they are not actually titanium. They have a titanium nitride coating.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom