Looking to buy a TI knife with at least a 6 inch blade

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@Toby W ....In post #19 I posted pictures and a price for a ti knife for your consideration. If you're not interested please let me know.
Thanks for the offer, but I’m not interested. I’m pretty set on at least a 6 inch blade. I currently have a shorter blade and it not working well for me.

I already carry a good pair of shears. I’d rather carry one bag for the lionfish and Spanish lobsters on the reef rather than a bag and lionfish hotel. We’re out on the reef for 90 minutes, so air and time aren’t our issues. Thanks again for all the input.

Thanks for the offer, but I’m not interested. I’m pretty set on at least a 6 inch blade. I currently have a shorter blade and it not working well for me.
No Problem-back into the bin it goes.

Perhaps I didn't read the thread well enough; what use do you plan for this new larger knife?

Thanks

dano

Thanks for everyone’s input. Went with an Evo titanium knife. 5 inch blade, so shorter than I wanted, but with a larger grip handle getting me closer to the desired range I was looking for. Best part, under $100 bucks, so I didn’t have to break the bank. No longer any need to borrow my dive buddy’s blade to finish the kill on my lionfish.

Check out the Argonaut. I have the blunt tip version and the guide I dived with in Antigua used the spartan version for killing lion fish after spearing them. Great knife.

What ?
You didn't follow the advice of @HKGuns who is an expert in dive knives ?

It was reported he subsequently competed his very first dive in Monterey..
I question for the expert
"What is the knife exert @HKGuns now recommends after his introduction to the UW world ?"

Maybe HK can reply today after he returns from his second dive certifying dive ?

Sam Miller, 111

I have a couple of knives that might fit your requirements. Someone earlier mentioned the Mission Knives. I have one and it is very capable but does require more frequent sharpening than steel knife. There is one on the right side of this picture. The Imperial UDT knife is extremely capable. It is made from Haynes #25 Alloy, a chromium, tungsten, cobalt alloy, which is corrosion proof yet hard and can cut metal. The problem there is that only about 1000 were made in the 1960's and some were lost in Vietnam and elsewhere around the world. Custom knives from select makers made from Nitinol or SM-100 will work for you as well but are probably even harder to find.
Dive%20Knives%201-L.jpg

Another possibility is the Randall Model 16 mentioned earlier but it is not Titanium, but is one of the best diving knives available. I picked up this like new model recently, but have yet to take it on a dive.
20190628_104908%20%281%29-L.jpg

The Buck 124 is ($200) the same knife as the Nemo just with a leather sheath. The Tekna Knife was available in Titanium. I have several but prefer the stainless version for general use.

N

I carry a small fixed blade from Spyderco - a knife company that makes a diver's knife. They use H1 steel that does not rust. I have the Spyderco Enuff Yellow FRN Handle H-1 Sheepfoot Serrated Fix Blade Knife FB31SYL; it has a sturdy 2.75" blade that does not get challenged at international security points. You can find this knife for about $100 online.

I also carry a Hollis line cutter and titanium shears. I use the knife to mostly pry things. It is a very good knife; I would buy it again.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom