Looking to do a basic open water dive in Ginnie Springs, FL

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just pointing out the days in question were April 27-29, so whatever diving was planed has been done.

----

Now...I have no idea if the OP was involved, and I have absolutely no reason to suspect the OP, other than the coincidental date in question - and there were plenty of other OW divers there that day.

However, on Saturday I was in a team of two following a student and instructor out through the gallery, when the instructor terminated a lights out drill to turn around a pair of OW divers. One of them was more or less compliant while the other one blew right on by, roto-tilling furiously in 45 degree trim. I planted myself in front of him and advised him that he needed to leave. I was on a CCR, so it was probably intelligible, but it was backed up with very clear and forceful hand signals. He paused at the first delivery and then turned and left at the second point blank delivery which was about to be followed by getting behind him, controlling his tank and removing him from the cave.

These morons were more than half way up the gallery and still heading in with just a pair of small hand held back up lights, typical dangly OW configurations, poor 45 degree trim and about 1500 psi in single tanks - but they felt that were good because they had a total of two lights.

One of these morons was resistant to the point of belligerence on being told to leave, and had absolutely no clue of the risks he was taking. He was in an extra special class of stupid. I followed them to the Ear, watched them leave and then waited couple minutes to be sure they did not immediately re-enter, before exiting through the eye.

----

The moral here is that if an OW diver wants to dive Ginnie Springs, that's great - just be sure to abide my the rules. The Ballroom is available for open water divers, and the spring run and river are available - provided the divers are not carrying lights.

But OW divers absolutely need to stay out of the eye and the ear, and certainly should not be entering the cave. It's an incredibly effective way for a non cave trained diver to kill him or her self.

----

As was suggested above, if you're going to be in High Springs for a couple days, consider a Cavern class. There are a number of instructors available and I'll be happy to connect people if they are interested. You can send me a PM or you can post a thread here in this section and you'll get all the assistance you require from a number of cave divers and instructors.

Hi all,
I'm a fairly novice diver (advanced open water through PADI) and I happened to have some free days during a business trip. I'm interested in eventually cave diving but I'm nowhere near experienced enough. However I was still hoping to poke around the Ginnie Springs area while I'm in town. Unfortunately I don't have a dive buddy. Is there anyone going to the Springs in the next few days (4/27 to 4/29) that would be willing to show me around?

Go visit with Cave Excursions (www.caveexcursions.com). The owner is a NY transplant :)

Be careful Larry. Tyler Moon was sued for assault after forcibly removing an OW instructor and her OW student from the gallery.

Be careful Larry. Tyler Moon was sued for assault after forcibly removing an OW instructor and her OW student from the gallery.
Remember that quite well. Not sure if he got sued,but did get charged for assault. Things have changed since that incident occurred, so I would add sue to the realm of possibilities.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom