Looking to upgrade to a more flexible Wetsuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Viper12161

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello all,

I started diving in July of last year. Starting off I got a Bare 7mm Sport Wetsuit. (Regular model, not the Flex) In the water it's comfortable and kept me warm, however out of the water I feel like I'm wearing a metal suit of armor and can't move. I am unable to even bend enough to put my fins on. Kinda feel like the kid from A Christmas Story. I did some digging and asking around and I was told the Sport model is known to be very stiff. I was looking to move into a Bare Velocity. I was told it would be way more flexible than the Sport I have now. I'm not looking for a dry suit or semi-dry. The whole relief valve thing kinda turns me off of that, and the 7mm wet kept me warm in water temps down to 51 and I was fine with that. So thoughts on the Velocity? Price point is about $399 which is right around my limit. Any input appreciated.

Thanks!!!

Hello all,

I started diving in July of last year. Starting off I got a Bare 7mm Sport Wetsuit. (Regular model, not the Flex) In the water it's comfortable and kept me warm, however out of the water I feel like I'm wearing a metal suit of armor and can't move. I am unable to even bend enough to put my fins on. Kinda feel like the kid from A Christmas Story. I did some digging and asking around and I was told the Sport model is known to be very stiff. I was looking to move into a Bare Velocity. I was told it would be way more flexible than the Sport I have now. I'm not looking for a dry suit or semi-dry. The whole relief valve thing kinda turns me off of that, and the 7mm wet kept me warm in water temps down to 51 and I was fine with that. So thoughts on the Velocity? Price point is about $399 which is right around my limit. Any input appreciated.

Thanks!!!

You just have to try some on.
I tried a bunch of 7mm ish suits.

Wasn't a fan of the Velocity (edit, or was it Reactive??), in fact as I recall it was one of the suits I couldn't get all the way on.

Easiest suits to don I have tried were
Mares Flexa 8/6/5
Aqualung Quantum stretch
Pinnacle elastoprene.

I went with the Mares, it was the easiest. The arms and legs are prebent, so they bend or straighten without wrinkling up, and it just fit me the best.

Basically look for the stretchy, flexy, elastic keywords in the name and try some on.

Hello all,

Thanks!!!

Another option that you should seriously consider is a "freedive" type suit. We sell two piece suits in 3. 5 and 7 mm options. We use the best neoprene (Yamamoto) and it is very flexible and comfortable. A MAKO 7 mm suit should keep you warm at the temperature you mentioned.

Our suits are extremely warm because there are no zippers to leak, no neck seal to leak and the suits have no nylon liner inside the suit, so this helps with flexibility and the smooth rubber interior greatly reduces water leakage into the suit and migration from one location to another.

This video might be interesting to some:

https://www.makospearguns.com/Yamamoto-3D-Reef-Camo-2-Piece-Open-Cell-Wetsuit-p/m2y3drc.htm

M2Y3DRC-2T.jpg

^^^What Dano said. At the risk of starting to sound like a fan girl (which I am) I was about to tag Mako when I saw him post.

I know these suits are not for everyone. There is a bit of a learning curve to their use. But after you make the switch there is no going back. Warm, flexible and super comfortable. I started with the 5 after selling my Bare 5 mm because I could not stand how it made me feel like the Michelin Man. I was so happy with the Mako I bought the 3 mm and next sale I will get the 7.

I tried on several 7mm wetsuits, including the Bare Velocity, and ended up with the Henderson Thermaxx. Stretchiness--ease of donning and doffing, and of moving-- was my top criterion. Plus it was cheaper. Might be worth checking out. Ultimately fit is more important than brand. Good luck finding something that works for you.

For stretchy. The Henderson I have is very stretchy but it is older thermoprene. Bang for your buck Deep 6 wetsuits are on closeout sale now and are fantastic wetsuits. They are not quite as stretchy as my Henderson but very good. I hear great things on the mako suits and would like to try but haven’t yet. Flexibility and warmth are supposed to be great key points with them.

take a look at the pinnacle cruiser.....mine has great flexibility and has kept me warm down to 45f.....plus its a good bit cheaper than the velocity

Check out the Seac Komodo 7mm, yamamoto neoprene, very stretchy

Back
Top Bottom