Losing a friend, and regret..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScottB

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am sorry, to bring up bad news, during the holidays,... but .. I need to tell someone....

Today, I have received two messages regarding a very dear friend of mine. I am struggling to cope with the news, and trying to think of a way to help his family cope,... particularly his 4 year old grand daughter, who lives with her mother, grand mother, and him.

While at a stop light, on the way to Christmas Eve services, he suffered a cardiac event, and went for 40 minutes before regaining a pulse. He has been in intensive care, with a new treatment called Arctic Sun, which induces hypothermia, in the attempt to preserve brain functions... but the doctors disclosed this afternoon, that baring a miracle, should he survive, he will never recover from a Permanent Vegatative State. Next week, he will likely be removed from life support. He is young, .. in his early 50s.. and there is no apparent reason for this cardiac arrest.

Doug, is a loving husband, and father of three beautiful and wonderful girls. The youngest, married earlier this year, and the oldest became engaged on the 24th of November.. and his middle daughter, has an adorable, sweetheart of a daughter herself.

He will always hold a place in my heart, as a friend, and father figure.

My heart bleeds for him, and my eyes water. I will miss him greatly.. and I regret that I did not tell him this when he could hear me..

He can hear you....trust me :)

I'll keep you, him and his family in my thoughts and prayers.

Our thoughts are going out to you and to his family. It's a good reminder to appreciate what we have, when we have it...not after it's too late.

Tell that special someone how you feel about them today.

My condolences. But with friends like yourself, must have had a very full life... All my best to you and his family...

He's still got a friend like you, my friend. Condolences to you and his family. Especially during this season of lights.

i am very sorry ... things like these are just terrible blows

hang in there, take care of yoruself

I will miss him greatly.. and I regret that I did not tell him this when he could hear me..
*hugs* Scott... im so sorry for you and your friends family to be going thru this.

he seems to have been very generous in heart and spirit to have touched you so deeply, so i'll like to believe that he knows he was loved and honored

take care

Thank you everyone.... I dont... really.. know what else to say... .. i.. cant even say anything else right now... I'll writ emore later............

Please accept my condolences. He was as lucky to have you in his life as you were to know him in yours.

Don't assume he cannot hear you. It isn't too late to say what you want to say.

I believe that we do take a few things with us when we go. What are the limits to the dimensions of a soul?

Take care,

Doc

I worked in the Intensive Care Unit at Clark Air Base in the Philippines during Viet Nam. We had numerous patients in comas - some lasting for several months. When they awoke, they told us everything that went on in the unit while they were "asleep". If you have something that you want to tell your friend - by all means go tell him. Chances are better than average that he will hear you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom