Lost a finger with a bang stick

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We use and sell them. They screw on to the end of a spear gun for more efficient spearfishing. And they work great.

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember when I got certified back in 1969, everyone wore the large knifes strapped to their calf. I suspect it was because nothing else existed but I can't imagine wearing one today. That big ole knife gave me a false sense of security. My thought was, I'd stab the shark. Oh yea!, glad I never had to try that scenario. Same for bang sticks. If you have ever done any extensive reading on shark attacks while diving, you realize the majority never saw the shark before the attack. I think bang sticks are dangerous. I'd be more worried of getting shot by some incompetent diver carrying one of these dinosaur contraptions than a real shark. Heck, at the rate we are killing sharks world wide, one is dam fortunate these days to even see sharks.

Last edited by a moderator:
After diving 40 years where sharks were common, I never brought or required a bang stick. Diving with other spearfisherman was risky enough. A bang stick made any kind of accident even more frightening.

I knew some captains that kept them onboard to kill sharks that took their fish. The bang sticks were used for the most part by people doing aggressive dives for big fish or as protection from sharks while fishing, filming, collecting data or any number of activities. It's like any other dangerous tool we use. It can efficiently help or it can take us out. How we respect it and handle it makes all the difference. Adventure-Ocean

Yes, it is legal to sell a bang stick to any customer who walks in the door.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

I have deleted a number of off topic posts and responses to those posts.

This thead is in the accidents and incidents section of the board. Please refer to the special rules for this forum.

The discussion in this thread is about an injury due to a bang-stick and the related knowledge exchange about bang sticks in general.

If you would like to discuss the moral/ethical aspects of diving with bang sticks, please start a thread about it elsewhere on the board.

Yes, it is legal to sell a bang stick to any customer who walks in the door.

I would not be so sure of that because a bang stick is a Firearm and it falls under the Firearm laws of your country and locale.

It may fall under some "exception" if it were welded to a 26" (or longer) pole and used exclusively for fishing (if sold unwelded, or the user later unwelds it, and refits it, then the "exception" may no longer hold water).

Last edited:
I would not be so sure of that because a bang stick is a Firearm and it falls under the Firearm laws of your country and locale.

It may fall under some "exception" if it were welded to a 26" (or longer) pole and used exclusively for fishing (if sold unwelded, or the user later unwelds it, and refits it, then the "exception" may no longer hold water).

It all depends on your state and country. Here in the US the federal side (ATF) says they are legal. Some states have outlawed them and some still allow them. Check your state law's....

It all depends on your state and country. Here in the US the federal side (ATF) says they are legal. Some states have outlawed them and some still allow them. Check your state law's....

GCA68 says the firing pin powerheads which screw-on a spear referenced in this thread and sold freely by some dive shops may not be legal in the U.S.

Only way around is maybe if permanently affixed at point of manufacture to a pole 26" or longer (to possibly avoid them being classed as a Firearm).

My understanding of course. 10 yr. possible jail sentence.

Last edited:
Sorry I overlooked the screw on part.

Actually the length is 18"

Ok the screw on type you are referring to are not legal if sold as is. pie do remember when it was not...
If it has a spot weld to an 18" or longer pole/shaft then they can sale them depending on the state laws.

This type of device is covered on two federal laws not just GCA68. This type of device is also covered by The National Firearms Act. Each law covers different aspects and some interpretations by DOJ actually conflict

If you are using Wikipedia be careful as it has data that is not always accurate or conflicts with other postings in Wiki.....

Sorry I overlooked the screw on part.

Actually the length is 18"

Ok the screw on type you are referring to are not legal if sold as is. pie do remember when it was not...
If it has a spot weld to an 18" or longer pole/shaft then they can sale them depending on the state laws.

This type of device is covered on two federal laws not just GCA68. This type of device is also covered by The National Firearms Act. Each law covers different aspects and some interpretations by DOJ actually conflict

If you are using Wikipedia be careful as it has data that is not always accurate or conflicts with other postings in Wiki.....

We are slowly getting tbere.

Reading the actual laws, I think it is 26" (not 18" or 48") and it has to be permanently affixed at point of manufacture.

Anyone disassembling the powerhead from the pole and screwing it on a speargun spear may be manufacturing a Firearm... which in itself is a serious criminal offence.

If I wanted one, I'd buy the powerhead only from a firearm dealer following the rules/procedures for a firearm purchase/sale.

Still, I am not 100% sure such Firearm could be used for fishing, although funny enough could be used for hunting.

Be safe, and treat it as a Firearm (not a SCUBA toy).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom