Lost a weight pouch, Dang It!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you do get a standard weightbelt with hard weights, I recommend triglides in between the weights to keep them from slipping on the strap.
HRD10TG5.jpg

I have had no trouble wearing a standard weightbelt or had any problem with comfort. Also, you must get the weightbelt tight on the surface so that it doesn't slip at depth when your wetsuit compresses.

:shark2:quote]

I use a Zeagle Brigade with a rip chord for integrated weights. My unit has rear weight pockets that I like as well. I put 10 lbs all total 3-3,2-2. This is for warm water diving. When I use my bag suit I need to use my harness. The first time I tried to use a belt with the bag it was always uncomfortable at depth. No matter hot tight I got it. I bought the Classic II and it is amazingly comfortable for me. I just need a good neck and shoulder rub when I get home. That's really not unusual anyway. When I did use the belt I did not have a problem with lead shifting as I twisted the belt so it would not move. I put the belt in the hole twisted it and then put it through the slot. The knot kept it tight. I did not need to buy anything. Now if I had an a$$ I would not need the harness either.

Hi Steve,
Sorry to read about your mishap. I guess I was lucky in a way during my classroom training Vicki was showing us her BCD which used a velcro system for the weight pockets and commented on her problems with them. Having had problems with velcro wearing out on other things I realized I didn't want it on the weight system for a BCD. Even on the cummerbun I've decided it is more problems than it's worth.
Seems many of the manufacturers including Sherwood have come to similar conclusions over the years and switched to more positive locking systems.
Since you already have made a solid choice that can be used with future equipment as well as your present choices, there is no need for me to make further comment other than to say glad everything worked out.

This site seems to have a few on clearance, listed by the wrong name it seems: XS Baggage Weight Belt The black belt has 8 pockets the blue has 6 pockets and the Gray has 4 pockets - 5# pockets I think. $20 with shipping...
Click pics for larger views...
View attachment 55589 . View attachment 55590
Hehe, looks like some of the pouches are upside down - easy to fix​

Seemed to good to be true!!! And it was. They are used - not just a little but a lot. Still not a bad deal if you are like me and don't care what it looks like as long as it works. But it is just not going to work for my wife.:lotsalove:

When I was a newbie one of my pocket weights fell out (fortunately, I was almost at the surface when I watched it sink). Like a complete dope, I tried to go down and get it!

If you do get a standard weightbelt with hard weights, I recommend triglides in between the weights to keep them from slipping on the strap.
Yep, the heck with twisting the belt, as that often fails. Really, at $1 or so each, not a bad idea to carry a few in your bag in case you ever have to use a rented belt.

Seemed to good to be true!!! And it was. They are used - not just a little but a lot. Still not a bad deal if you are like me and don't care what it looks like as long as it works. But it is just not going to work for my wife.:lotsalove:
Yeah, I noticed some of the pouches are upside down. Functional, but used - so if you need new, nope. For new, LP seems like the best with free tax & shipping, $32 for a new belt, your choices of 4,6,8 pocks, 3 colors: XS Scuba Weight Belt

When I was a newbie one of my pocket weights fell out (fortunately, I was almost at the surface when I watched it sink). Like a complete dope, I tried to go down and get it!
Natural feeling, good way to learn from minor mistakes. Better look like a newbie when you are; I hate it when I do now - no excuses. :silly:

Absolutely right... that's why all of us who started diving in the 60's and 70's are dead... the weight belts got us... :rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3:

Well, there is no arguing with the fact that every diver who wears a welt belt will eventually die. I hope your death wasn't too unpleasant.

I remember a belt once worked it's way up and around my neck. It began to constrict and tighten with every breath I took. Luckily in those days we carried knives of a minimum length of
6". I was able to cut the belt from around my neck. The two pieces then came at me still intent on killing me. Finally like Christine the belt fell lifeless and was never seen again. ALthough on some moonless nights dives people say they have seen it swim by----

I remember a belt once worked it's way up and around my neck. It began to constrict and tighten with every breath I took. Luckily in those days we carried knives of a minimum length of
6". I was able to cut the belt from around my neck. The two pieces then came at me still intent on killing me. Finally like Christine the belt fell lifeless and was never seen again. ALthough on some moonless nights dives people say they have seen it swim by----

Love It! :D

Hey All,

I wanted to check in. I used my weight belt for the first time last weekend. The results were...interesting...instructive....somewhat annoying.

I donned my gear at home during the middle of the week to make sure it all fit right. It all seemed to fit okay so I thought my troubles were behind me.

On Saturday I spent the first dive trying to figure out why I couldn't get horizontal. I set the weight belt a few inches low so I could close the BC's cumberbun the way I was used to. That little move in the weights caused me to be verticle and swim along with my legs low. I struggled all dive to get horizontal and burned through my air way to fast.

Second dive I moved the weight belt up a tad. That helped a little but now the cumberbun was fastened just below my sternum. Still difficult to get and stay horizontal.

Third dive I moved 6# to the trim pouches on the back of my BC. Then I distributed the weights in my weight belt so the heavier weights were to my back and the lightest were to my front. Ahh. Finally horizontal under water. I still have the problem with the cumberbun.

Any thoughts?

Steve.

Since your BC has a backplate I'd consider removing the cumberbun and adding a 1" crotch strap. This should keep the BCD from riding up on you. It will make your configuration more like a standard backplate wing. With Your shoulder and waist strap snug and the addition of the crotch strap you probably won't miss the cumberbun at all and without it you may even notice a reduction in the weight you'll need.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom