Lost at Sea, which SMB? Carter 10' vs Highland 10' vs OMS 16'

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

napDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm looking to get an SMB for high waves or lost at sea condition. I do have a standard 5' SMB for normal conditions.

I'm wondering what yall would recommend, the
1) Carter 10' Carter Personal Float
2) Highland 10' Highland Giant { 10 ft | 3.1 m } SMT w/All-Mesh Sleeve, Orange | Dive Gear Express®
3) OMS 16' OMS Giant Alert Marker { 16 ft | 4.8 m } - Open Bottom | Dive Gear Express®
4) Feel free to add your own.

I was leaning towards the OMS, but it seems like the 16' is too cumbersome. I was then leaning over to the Highland but found the Carter. I'm guessing the carter is better made since it's American vs Chinese?

Thanks for your thoughts!

how lost are we talking? if you are really lost and the boat is not visible, time to start thinking about a nautilus or plb instead of a DSMB

with that said, i would go with the carter.

In addition to the 10' SMBs you are looking at, if you are considering a lost at sea situation, I also highly suggest a floating signal mirror that won't sink if you drop it or need to let go of it momentarily. This one is good: StarFlash Floating Signal Mirror - UST Brands In addition, a PLB would be your way to let SAR know you are in distress and give them your location.

Dye marker so you can be spotted from the air.

I don’t think s skinny tube is going to be visible from any appreciable distance regardless of height.

how lost are we talking? if you are really lost and the boat is not visible, time to start thinking about a nautilus or plb instead of a DSMB

with that said, i would go with the carter.

Agreed, I'm getting a plb as well as a vhf radio. Cheers

In addition to the 10' SMBs you are looking at, if you are considering a lost at sea situation, I also highly suggest a floating signal mirror that won't sink if you drop it or need to let go of it momentarily. This one is good: StarFlash Floating Signal Mirror - UST Brands In addition, a PLB would be your way to let SAR know you are in distress and give them your location.

Actually I was just going to get a metal mirror, a buoyant one makes a lot of sense! Thanks a lot, will def add this.

Dye marker so you can be spotted from the air.

I don’t think s skinny tube is going to be visible from any appreciable distance regardless of height.

Yup, I was going to get the oms dye. Do you have a different one you would recommend?

Back
Top Bottom