Lost Buddy Marker

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No, it points back "the way I came"

The boltsnap is not what tells my buddy where I have gone, it is the cookie that I put on what I believe is the "exit" side of the spool or reel that I have tied into the line I have found. The boltsnap is there for consistency, and to prevent me accidentally going down my own line again and getting confused.

OK ... I see what you're getting at.

Thanks ... I'm trying to sort all this out in my head before I get back down there in a few weeks.

So the boltsnap is not intended to convey information to anyone other than yourself?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

The real bottom line is that placing a cookie removes all ambiguity.

While I think it was an interesting concept to explore, it leaves a little to be desired for the added benefit of shaving off a second or two by not placing a cookie.

So the boltsnap is not intended to convey information to anyone other than yourself?

It does, however its also quite possible to mis-clip it in low visiblity. And you may discover after heading "out" along the mainline that you're going the wrong direction. Now you are undoing the clip on return and reclipping on the correct exit side.

Placing a personal marker on what you think is the exit side is alot less ambiguous. Its easier to move, and its easier/clearer to feel if you end up going back over this junction.

Personally I try to avoid having too many little things having meanings. This is the reason I don't use REMs. I only use cookies that don't have any additional directional meaning notched into the sides.

Wow. You really have to have a complete lack of situational awareness even if you were under duress. You have my permission. :D

Yes, you would, but I wouldnt discount it, especially in ratholes like Nohoch where a jump can just be a boltsnaps distance away.

Anything the keeps things consistent and "simple" in an emergency lets me focus on how to get my butt out of the frying pan.

OK ... I see what you're getting at.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Mostly yes :) If my buddies that were trained the same way come across setup (spool, cookie, boltsnap etc) they should know whats what, but the important info is where the cookie lies in relation to the spool

That said, I have (thankfully) only done this in a class situation so far, so take it from that point of view

I carry 3 backups so thats not a problem. Wetnotes sound ok to me, or have a certain color arrow just for that occasion. But you would have to discuss that with your buddies or it would be just another arrow.

that was my 1st thought----carry 3....

Were are you stowing it?
I keep a small LED clipped off in my drysuit pockets to find my keys when I get out, see to gear up before the dive, and light up the path to the water when I night dive so that I don't have to put burn time on my backup lights or burn my HID out of the water.

Personally I think it's unrealistic to lose a buddy, a backup light and a primary on the same dive, so it's certainly not my purpose for carrying the extra (I don't take it on day dives), but it might be an option for those who have expressed fear of losing 2 lights and a buddy.

Were are you stowing it?

I have one on my harness and the other 2 are in drysuit pockets. I have a pinnacle with large pockets. They are very easy to get to.

I keep a small LED clipped off in my drysuit pockets to find my keys when I get out, see to gear up before the dive, and light up the path to the water when I night dive so that I don't have to put burn time on my backup lights or burn my HID out of the water.

Personally I think it's unrealistic to lose a buddy, a backup light and a primary on the same dive, so it's certainly not my purpose for carrying the extra (I don't take it on day dives), but it might be an option for those who have expressed fear of losing 2 lights and a buddy.

I know a few that have had 2 lights fail on a dive, thats why I opt for more than I really need. I would rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it. It seems that when something does go wrong Murphy's Law likes to show up in more than one place.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom