Lost Diver at Mill Pond Rescued

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CamG

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Sounds like a lost diver was rescued at the Mill Pond today.
Edd arrived in 11 min. via Frank and he was discovered aprox. 500' in the squirrel passage in an air pocket.
The diver was a Full cave diver that made a navigational mistake.

This is crazy rescue stuff people and this is not the first one this year.
Thanks, gratitude, and RESPECT to Edd and Frank as well as all others who were a part of this rescue!
I am certain that details will be discussed more this is what I found on CDF.

CamG

Edit: Just realized the diver was cave certified.

Still, wtf is going on at the millpond where someone gets lost every other month? Somethin ain't right. Huge kudos to Edd though, each and every one of these saves is amazing.

Wtf do OW divers keep going in these places (especially at the Millpond)? Its GREAT that Edd saves everyone, but that's not the right answer to the problem. Maybe there needs to be some more signage there? Or some sort of education thing for scuba divers prior to diving?

This is #4 for Edd (right?) which is absolutely amazing, but we can't expect him to save everyone...

Ummmm....

He did say it was a full cave diver, not OW....

By Edd , do you mean Edd Sorenson from cave adventurer? If so, man, Edd is a real hero. But people, please stop relying your life on Edd.

2012 has been the year where dive planning means making sure that Edd is in the vicinity to bail your sorry ass out of trouble when you screw up.

Time to add an Edd check to the list of cave diving rules?

Now that's classic. Do we let the cat out of the bag and let Edd know of his new status? If we let Holiwood know maybe we have the makings of a TV series to replace Seahunt!

Dale

I'm hoping a few details come out in this incident. I am in no way trying to put the rescued diver down in any way, but just more curious. It was said that it was a navigational error. I am not familiar with that particular passage, but does it not have a line in it? Or did the divers not run a line with them? Even in a navigational error, shouldn't there still be a continuous guideline. It is very basic cave diver training to know how to follow a guideline back out,... even in 0 vis,.... unless the diver was stuck &/ or unable to find his way back out of a tight spot. Also curious,... where was the diver's buddy? Did he have one? If he did have one, how did he get out & the other diver not? Who reported the diver as lost? How did they know he was lost? Thank goodness, once again, Edd was able to snatch another diver from the grip of the Reaper. I have only dove JB about 7- 8 times, mostly on the main line, so can not say that I am extremely familiar with the system. I want to better understand it. Like I said, I mean nothing bad towards the rescued diver, just seems to be a bunch of holes in the details of what happened.

This group of divers failed to dive their plan. They did the wrong jump and nobody realized it. You have to use some common sense in caves, if it doesnt look right, feel right, or anything else it probably isnt right. This really pertains to those of you who arent diving caves every weekend. A quarry or lake will not prepare you for this. Luckily ANOTHER diver met his Angel in the Darkness named Edd and can live and talk about it. The story from Edds perspective gave me chills, this diver found an airpocket and was waiting to go to sleep and drown. Not fun if you ask me. PAY ATTENTION people, sometimes you dont get another chance.

......sometimes you dont get another chance.

More often than not you do not get the second chance. So far this year, 4 people were given a second chance. It would be tragic if they repeated their mistakes and perished under similar circumstances as Edd has saved them from.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom