Lost Diver at Mill Pond Rescued

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is this the same tunnel that nearly kacked someone a few months ago?

It is, this guy got turned around just like the first two when he hit zero viz. He went further into smaller stuff until he ran out of gas. He was lucky to find a small air pocket where he sat and waited to go to sleep and drown.

---------- Post Merged at 08:45 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 08:41 AM ----------

More often than not you do not get the second chance. So far this year, 4 people were given a second chance. It would be tragic if they repeated their mistakes and perished under similar circumstances as Edd has saved them from.
I can assure you edd hopes he doesnt have to do this anytime soon again. Quick work by Frank Gonzales and Edd saved this guy, you cant figure Edd into dive planning tho. I rarely have a dive plan unless we are going pretty far back, but i always have emergencies planned out and I have common sense that I listen too. You would be surprised how much common sense can save you a lot of trouble in an overhead.

Call me old fashioned, but what happened to following the line out? I've never been in this tunnel, but is the line in such condition/placement that following it in zero vis is impossible? Paint a picture for me :)

Reactions: Jax
Call me old fashioned, but what happened to following the line out? I've never been in this tunnel, but is the line in such condition/placement that following it in zero vis is impossible? Paint a picture for me :)

Well it might be now, Edd was gonna check it today. It is SM only really although it is getting bigger thanks to knuckleheads and silty. The line ends on a rock and its 25ft or so away from the gold line, gold line being 90 degrees to your right. They never run that line, problem number 1, they try to run the line in zero viz, find a different line which goes into even smaller stuff. That line was broken yesterday and has to be repaired. Bad judgements lead to all this.

I wasn't there, but it strikes me as incredibly poor SA. Even in zero viz, a situationally aware diver will key on where the line is at, whether it's oriented on the "other" side than it was when he entered, whether the tunnel is getting smaller, and if the tunnel is getting tighter, an SA diver would probably ask himself "why?", etc. A good, situationally aware diver would also note the time and gas taken to get to the point where he "turned", then wonder why if it took him 10 minutes to get down that passage to the turn, he's been exiting 15 minutes and is still in the passage.

Someone needs to cut up his full cave card.

Well it might be now, Edd was gonna check it today. It is SM only really although it is getting bigger thanks to knuckleheads and silty. The line ends on a rock and its 25ft or so away from the gold line, gold line being 90 degrees to your right. They never run that line, problem number 1, they try to run the line in zero viz, find a different line which goes into even smaller stuff. That line was broken yesterday and has to be repaired. Bad judgements lead to all this.

I have no intention of diving that tunnel. To quote a friend "if the cave needs sidemount, it doesn't need me."

Just trying to sort out how this kind of thing can happen twice.

I have no intention of diving that tunnel. To quote a friend "if the cave needs sidemount, it doesn't need me."

Just trying to sort out how this kind of thing can happen twice.

Cant relate the two, the first one was an instructors fault and his students were in trouble. These were full cave divers. It was a beautiful passage, I can get through it without silting the place up.

---------- Post Merged at 09:09 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 09:07 AM ----------

are there arrows in that tunnel?

There were, everything there is pretty well marked. That line ends tho, it seems they keep jumping into other passages that get smaller and nastier.

Reactions: Jax
when you're in a hole, quit digging. when you don't know where you are, quit jumping & go *back*. this just makes me so frustrated.

i'm very glad he's ok. i'm thankful edd worked his magic. but i'm pissed off about the whole thing.

It sounds like the principle of "guideline" was pretty much violated in about as many ways as you can . . .

:huh:

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom