Lost Diver at Mill Pond Rescued

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

At that point, I would tie into the line, tie off as soon as possible (so I don't move the line from where he expects it) and head in the direction I believe he's going, spending as much time looking as I would if it were a lost buddy situation. Leaving a light on the line wouldn't be a terrible idea as light stands out more than the line does, but I would have to accept that he might leave the cave thinking I was trying to tell him I had left the cave, and him leaving.

Let's see, what did I learn:
  • Team diving has benefits you don't even think about when you get in the water. Reenforced my desire to never solo dive, and strongly encourage those I'm friends with and new divers not to as well. Something to consider--this mill pond accident would have been a fatality had the diver been solo.
  • In a cave with sharp rock, even line that looks fairly strong can slice, always ensure it's well maintained before going in, or run your own line.
  • As for priority, getting on the line is always the right answer. Shutting down a valve doesn't have to be done right that second, and frankly losing the whole tank wouldn't be a huge deal in that situation. It's easier said now that I'm behind a keyboard than in the water, but that's what I would do if the same situation happened again.
  • Clip your tank off again before completely leaving the restriction when diving heavy steel tanks, if possible.
I glad you took that knowledge away from that experience. I was concerned to read your scenario and realize you didn't pick that up in any of your cave training. It was drilled into us in ours

I glad you took that knowledge away from that experience. I was concerned to read your scenario and realize you didn't pick that up in any of your cave training. It was drilled into us in ours
It was covered in class, just having a real life scenario was a wee bit different than something that was staged, where you were expecting SOMETHING to go wrong, with an instructor watching you, in a training cave with good viz, knowing the drill could be ended at any time if you exceeded your comfort level. Maybe I'm the only one who would react differently and everyone else would be like "Oh I got this, I did a valve drill at Ginnie Springs once".

It was covered in class, just having a real life scenario was a wee bit different than something that was staged, where you were expecting SOMETHING to go wrong, with an instructor watching you, in a training cave with good viz, knowing the drill could be ended at any time if you exceeded your comfort level. Maybe I'm the only one who would react differently and everyone else would be like "Oh I got this, I did a valve drill at Ginnie Springs once".
yea. class is the same thing as real life. duh

It sounds like what saved the diver was being so close to the entrance. If he had been farther back I imagine it would have been a recovery.
Do cave divers use a compass when there are no lines?

It sounds like what saved the diver was being so close to the entrance. If he had been farther back I imagine it would have been a recovery.
Do cave divers use a compass when there are no lines?

I use a compass that I'll reference from time to time while in large cave (especially if it's lower viz) so that if the line is lost visually I have a reference point and know how to run perpendicular to the passage to find it. We never rely on a compass for primary navigation, however.

i never carry a compass.
I have a survey compass in wetnotes I could use in a pinch but it has never been needed

I've got one built into my wristwatch. I don't use it often, but I generally know the direction that the cave trends before the dive.

Line is number 1, though. There is ALWAYS a line. Line is for nav.

Not true, it's another very useful bit of information to supplement what you should have been reading from the cave. You shouldn't need it, but it is additional information.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom